• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

XCal2: Worth It?

Savior

CEG'er
OK, I've been reading various threads (including the stickied one about Duratec Performance in this forum), and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me...

What is a realistic HP gain from an Xcal2 performance chip? Or even a ball-park figure?

Someone said to me once, and I quote, "It was like my SVT's engine was waking up out of a coma"... But some people have said that tuners aren't worth it. Will I truly notice a difference in pickup?

For reference, I'm running a 98 E-0, with K&N 3530 CAI, Magnaflow resonator and Magnaflow Hi-Flo cat. Engine is running smoothly and seems to be in pretty good condition at 100k.

i've heard of people gaining as much as 20HP from a good xcal tune. if you contact nautilusperformance, they can get you a base tune along with the xcal unit, and they are much better at tuning than the other companies offering xcal2's because nautilus's main customer base is the contour guys.

Unless its a full bolt-on 3L or a very heavily modified 2.5, I don't believe it would be possible to pick up 20hp NA from just a tune. Definitely not 20hp with your mods.
I don't know how to answer your question, but I have used SCT on my '01 and '04 Cobras and a '97 SHO. Its is good product if you have a capable tuner. Custom on a dyno is ideal, but Nautilus has a good rep for mail order from my reading.
-J

...is ten hp noticeable?

Uhh yeah, expecially when you are under 200hp

Plus its not just for hp gains, you will get better gas mileage, the rev limiter will be brought up and the speed limiter can be removed. The xcal is a MUST BUY!!!!!

Really,cause when I first bought mine I was going like 110 and the car shut off and wouldnt let me go past 110.

Really,cause when I first bought mine I was going like 110 and the car shut off and wouldnt let me go past 110.

Thats weird. All SVT's do not have speed limiters and are drag limited to 143 mph.

I wonder if the dealership reflashed your computer with a non-svt tune or something?

They could have, its fine now but yeah it had a speed limiter on it.

WOW that sucked

Back on topic tho..a Xcal2 a best bang for buck..I have 3 preloaded tunes for mine..2 Nitrous and one Extreme performance tune..Im not sure about the gas mileage but i will say it pulls harder and runs alot smoother

Shut the rear O2's off and much more..

Awesome, awesome. I was just really skeptical because a few years ago, when I was naive and stupid, I bought one of those stupid eBay "+20hp Gains" capacitor things that are now listed under the Snake Oil section of the stickied Duratec Performance FAQ. Wow that was a hella burn. Made me a little wiser.

I have now bought an XCal2 with a performance tune, and can't wait to install it. I will post my results.

if you contact nautilusperformance, they can get you a base tune along with the xcal unit, and they are much better at tuning than the other companies offering xcal2's because nautilus's main customer base is the contour guys.

dont forget the FOCI!! almost every focus with a tune is either running the xcal 1/2 flasher (some also run diablo). They handled the base tune for 12psi on my Fsvt and we tweaked it on the dyno

My SVT had a rpm limiter, not a speed limiter. Since adding the xcal2 with a dyno tune, I am able to tinker with my rev limiter and do track day shifts at 7200 to 7300 instead of going WTF!? short of 7000. Meanwhile, even at lower rpms, going on steep uphills in 4th or 5th gear my car can even accelerate, when staying at the same speed on the same grade used to require a downshift. The power loss with the secondaries opening was almost perfectly eliminated, down low power and torque were noticeably better, throttle response was way better, the car is a lot more fun. If you already have a few simple mods to help breathe better, this should be a major kick in the pants for your car.

XCal2 Installed

XCal2 Installed

The Xcal2's instruction manual called for me to pull fuses that control the Electric Fuel Pump and the Electric Fans. I'm pretty sure I found the Fuel Pump fuse (actually I couldn't find the fuse, but I pulled the associated relay). However, many of the fuses under my hood (in the distribution box) did not match the diagrams in the car's manual! Like for instance, the 30-amp red fuse in the far lower-right corner of the Power Dist. Box that's supposed to control the Engine Fan (according to the manual) was not present! In fact, it was an empty socket where you could installed a socket that a fuse would fit it. And the one next to it that was supposed to be "Unused" had a fuse socket in it and a yellow fuse in that socket. WTF! I was very confused. I hope I did that right... What if I didn't? Will it hurt my engine or drivetrain..?

Anyways, I pulled some other fan-related fuses from the fuse box under the driver-side kickplate by the steering column, so I think I got most of them.

After doing my best to disable power to all the electric fans I could locate, and the fuel pump, I flashed the engine computer. It was a pretty simple procedure. The XCal2 device said that the tune was successfully installed, so I replaced my fuses and relays and went for a drive after letting the car warm up and adapt to its new settings for a few minutes.

First gear is about the same, a little better. Third gear is noticeably better.

But second gear. Second gear is nuts.

After some experimenting, I discovered that if I get going about 20mph and disengage the clutch, then rev the motor to around 4k rpm, and then smoothly engage the clutch (not fast enough to qualify as "dumping" the clutch, and not slow enough to cause rubbing/friction damage; just a smooth, swift engagement) while increasing the gas progressively, I get an insane boost of power and acceleration. Such a boost, in fact, that the front of the car really feels like it's trying to lift up off of the ground and I am pushed back into my seat, and the tires actually lost traction for a second (and I'm riding on 18" low-profile Sumitomo HTR Z II (Z-rated) racing tires with full tread).

I've never actually driven a car with so much oomph before, and now I own one. It's exciting. Given that I own an E-0, meaning 195hp stock, do you think I'm over the 200hp mark now?

[EDIT] - Oh and one more thing: I noticed that my engine is running a lot smoother now, too! More spritely and no chugging or hesitation, it reminds me more of the behavior of the snappy 4-banger in my old '95 GL. And not only that, I noticed (to my great delight) that my 1,500watt SPL amp no longer dims my headlights/dash illumination either, no matter how loud I bump. I thought I needed to buy a new battery or alternator or something, but maybe the engine was just in a coma and needed to be awakened. I would almost venture to say that this seems to have restored my engine to a functionality that it hasn't seen since below the 20,000-mile mark (it's at 102k right now). Maybe better, given the added ponies.

Definitely liking the XCal2 so far. I will play more tomorrow. :D

Last edited:
Hey, Savior, if you're in Bremerton WA, you might consider the upcoming get together soon in Seattle. Have you checked that on the forum for the NW branch?

Well the dimming gone is probably because your rpms sit a bit higher than before at idle.

Also where did you buy this at and how much for everything out the door. Did you have the tune customized for any additional features?

Also remember the chip does not do anything to the gears. Meaning the power gain that you feel in second is also in 1st 3rd and 4th and 5th. Just less noticeable because of gear ratios vs speed etc etc.

Glad you like the chip mod. I have yet to venture to this side. I am going to go the 3L route before i get my tune done.

Also where did you buy this at and how much for everything out the door. Did you have the tune customized for any additional features?

I got mine for $479 for the module and program together, during a special $100-off sale about 6 months ago. I think they're regularly $579 total. https://www.nautilusperformance.com/id64.html .

And no, I screwed up like a dumbass and bought the XCal2 before I got my K&N intake, Magnaflow resonator, Hi-Flow cat, and the mufflers I intend to get, so it's only programmed for a stock engine. Probably losing at least a few ponies there. I will eventually buy a new tune though. I think they're about $70 or so. I believe he emails them to you and you upload them into the XCal2 device via USB cable and he software CD that comes with it or something like that. I'll figure it out.

[EDIT] Good news! I just finished poking around he Nautilus site, and the XCal2 is still on sale for $479. I don't know for how much longer. Look here: https://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/c6_p1.html

You'll want to look at the second option down on the page, the one called XCal2 + Performance Tune - $479.

Last edited:
Back