• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning UIM/LIM : dirty pictures enclosed

enduro

CEG'er
I finally finished the UIM/LIM cleaning using Rays excelllent How -To. I previously tried the thru the vacuum hole method but it accomplished little if any good ( engine has > 160k).

Anyhow heres a few pictues of the LIM showing how dirty the maniflolds can get

Attachments

• Dirty Lim 11.jpg
    Dirty Lim 11.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Dirty Lim 22.jpg
    Dirty Lim 22.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
Excellent pictures. :laugh: But we want to know how well it drives now (rhetorical question, of course)? :cool:

Yes it will make a difference, and provided you follow each step, it really isn't too bad. I loved the difference it made when I did mine.

I don't think you could mess it up if you follow each step exactly as listed.

With the exception of cracking the vacuum tubes for the EGR, etc, (which are EASILY repaired with a piece of small rubber hose), there aren't MANY things that you CAN do wrong.

Ray, i have always thought that these bolts holding the manifolds could eaily tear due to high temps...or not? That' why i haven't tried to take the manifod down yet....besides, would it be better for the car in terms of performance?

Your car, NEW was rated at 195hp.. That is before the 100,000 miles (average) of fuel/air becoming carbon baked on to your TB, your UIM/LIM, injectors, everything!

This will not INCREASE performance ABOVE stock, but it WILL increase perceived performance by raising it back to stock levels.

I'll show you guys dirty!!

c498cb5e.jpg

21e423c0.jpg

68138f8d.jpg

end result

f1e533cf.jpg

and wrong wiring sequence which caused my pre-cat and main cat to clog up like a rock

it revives the car like crazy! i just did this on my car with the LIM still mounted on the motor (harder to get the secondary side clean, i suggest you take the LIM's off) and i really notice a difference on top end, since no matter what you do it seems the 2.5 is doggy on the bottom, till the secondaries open.

I don't think you could mess it up if you follow each step exactly as listed.

With the exception of cracking the vacuum tubes for the EGR, etc, (which are EASILY repaired with a piece of small rubber hose), there aren't MANY things that you CAN do wrong.

Yeah, I think that is the hose I broke too. (I broke the accordion like tube that is directly above the breather tube that attaches below the brake cylinder). All you have to do is breathe heavy on that tube and it will break.

I also lost my throttle cable clip but was able to buy another at the local dealership for the low price of $12.

Other than that, the job wasn't that hard but cleaning the manifolds was incredibly tedious.

I havent noticed any huge power increases but the engine is much smoother on the bottom end and revs up quicker too. The roads are too icy around here to tell much else though.

Its pretty much gaurnteed that your going to screw something up the first time you do it, I know i messed up my injector wiring and had to re-wire some new harnesses in.. that was fun, then i got some mega missfiring going on so i needed new plugs and wires. You will notice an increase tho.

Your second time going at it you wont screw anything up.

is it possible for one to optimize the secondaries just like the throttle body??? they are similar plates, that also open just like the TB, right?

is it possible for one to optimize the secondaries just like the throttle body??? they are similar plates, that also open just like the TB, right?

I think its been done once or twice, Getting the Plates out and back in is a big PITA IIRC. I remember people saying it wasent worth it at all.

Its pretty much gaurnteed that your going to screw something up the first time you do it./quote]

I wouldn't say that at all. If you just take your time, and don't try to force anything, it's tough to do anything wrong. label your plug wires if you have them off, make sure your injectors are seated when reinstalling, and check to be sure your vac lines are on right. Nothing to it!!

Mark

Time alloted, tools required, and steps needed are covered in the how-to itself.

Back