• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Auto - to - Manual swap?

Toddb

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have a '98 Contour 2.0 Auto, I've had it since new, at the time I shared the car with my wife so we opted for an Auto transmission.
Now that she has her own car I'm wondering how much is involved in converting it to a stick shift If I buy a donor car.

I would prefer to keep mine and modify it rather than trade it for someone elses that I don't know the history of.

I'm thinking:
Pedal linkage
Shifter linkage
Pull the motor/tranny change the flywheel
Clutch/Pressure Plate...
Install the 5 speed tranny
Re-install the motor/tranny

Anything I'm missing?

Todd

There's a lot of info on this site if you use the search function.

However I will compress the data for you: Sell the auto, buy a manual. It's the cheapest and easiest route, converting is gonna cost a lot of money and time, a donor car would be good, but 'Tours are so cheap, why not just spend that money on a manual one?

There's a lot of info on this site if you use the search function.

However I will compress the data for you: Sell the auto, buy a manual. It's the cheapest and easiest route, converting is gonna cost a lot of money and time, a donor car would be good, but 'Tours are so cheap, why not just spend that money on a manual one?

X2. For the time and effort going into the swap just buy a MTX.

X2. For the time and effort going into the swap just buy a MTX.

In this case (where he bought it brand spankin new and knows all the history) I can understand why you wouldn't want to just sell it and buy a different one.

The cougar guys seem to love doing the ATX-MTX swaps so the OP can probably find more info over at www.newcougar.org/forums.

I'm not sure on the 4 cylinder, but with the V6 the subframes need to be swapped too. Don't forget the PCM for the MTX.

Last edited:
I have posted the parts list before, it should be the same for a zetec swap but the donor car needs to be a zetec also ...

Back