• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

At idle stop and cars shutsdown while driving!!!

constrosity

CEG'er
Like the title says sometimes the car shutsdown while driving and sometimes at stops. Any ideas what this could be?

When it shuts down complete lose of all power but I usually just turn it on before It hits something. Not usually a problem, but came close to a pole with no power steering a few days ago and I it kind of prompted me to ask.:help::help::help:

Stalling while idling could indicate a vacuum leak.

As far as while driving, have you had anything apart lately? After I did an engine swap in my Cougar the car would lose all power, then kick back on again when hitting a bump or something in the road. I tightened up both ends of the main wiring harness under the hood and haven't had the problem since.

might be the problem actually did do a tranny rebuild. Had codes didn't know I should post them. The codes are:
p0136
p0141
p0155
p1131
p1132
p1151

I think 3 of them are related to my new headers and straight piped cat.

Ok I looked int he engine, just did tranny rebuild, I noticed I have one cable that is not connected. <thx for info on ground cable> One thing though I still don't know where it goes. It looks like it is only 1.5 feet long and has to washer style ends on both sides. I think it goes somewhere right under the intake, but not sure. Any ideas what this could be >??? pls help me find where this goes.:help:

generally this is the classic sign of a sticking IAC valve.

p0136 - Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 1. ---- New o2 sensor on Bank 1 needed
p0141 - Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 1. - confirms that you need a new O2 sensor
p0155 - Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 2. - upstream o2 sensor is bad.
p1131 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1. --> System is lean due to a failed O2 sensor
p1132 - P1132 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1. --> confirms again that you need a new o2 sensor
p1151 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2.

im going to say you need new bank 1 and 2 o2 sensors. If the car continues to stall I am going to say either you have a sticking IAC valve (wouldn't throw a code normally) or when you guys replaced the trannie someone didnt connect a vaccume line properly.

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0136[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0141[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0155[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 2. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1131[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1132[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1151[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2. [/FONT]

sounds like the O2 sensor on bank one has had the wires get cut or it isn't plugged in.

sounds like you also could use a new O2 sensor on bank 2

again check the down stream sensor on bank one for wiring damage or being plugged in correctly.

would there be any performance loss because of this? What problems could arise if it isn't fixed? Going to get new sensors and check those as soon as I get the money up for it.

FRONT O2s measure lean/rich ratios.

Those are bad and he needs new ones.

REAR O2s simply take the known input from the front ones and send what they are seeing (supposed to be a slowed down (buffered) version of the fronts.) to the PCM for comparison.

The reason they are looking for a buffered version is that the CATS buffer it by removing excess fuel from the vapors, so that once the exhaust hits the rear O2s it is less than it was at the front O2s, thus "buffered".

If you "just" get MILS you are replacing the REAR O2s with fake circuits that "mimic" an oscillation of ratio (like a working rear O2 would actually see) but, the MILS are only "replacing" the function of the cat (to buffer and average the input then send it to the PCM for comparison) not replacing the front O2s. this is not an "active" circuit, as in: It doesn't "create" an O2 signal and pass it to the PCM.. it just takes a )required) front O2 signal, buffers and averages it (like a working CAT) and then sends that to the PCM as the normal rear (working) ones would.

They REQUIRE a good input. Garbage in, garbage out. (non working fronts, no signal for the mils to average either way)

Last edited:
Spark Plug anti-foulers. Some have posted that it works and some have posted that it doesn't.

99 out of 100 post that mileliminators (electronic ones) work.

Last edited:
Back