• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not all SVT exhausts created equally?

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
As some of you may read, I installed a 98 svt exhaust into my 98.5 SE and ended up with a leak at the Y, more on this later.

My new problem is fitment. I'm getting some rubbing right at my fuel tank. Surprised at this, since all I have ever read was that it was a direct bolt-on, I decided to take some comparison pics of the old vs new exhaust:

DSC00321smaller.jpg

rubbing:

DSC00331smaller.jpg

(look how far that rubber is stretching)

DSC00334smaller.jpg

I looked at my brothers 99 SVT exhaust and his is shaped just like my SE exhaust. What gives?? Let it be known that this exhaust was from a rear end collision, but the only detectable bend was behind the passenger side muffler and that was fixed already. I don't think there is any way this exhaust could have warped like this.

Also, as far as the leak, could this little notch be a culprit?
DSC00328smaller.jpg

It would not suprise me,

Through my various projects ive noticed sooooo many minor differences in contour parts.

There was a part number change. IIRC it was at about the E0 to E1 break. When buying it new, Bill Jenkins suggested only buying the late one because it was less expensive.

When I put one on my SE I laid them out side by side and they were identical as far as the piping. Never heard of anyone having an issue.

Just my luck...3 years of SVT Contour and I get the oddball experimental exhaust. I think I'm just going to get some sort of heat shielding wrap and apply it to the area where the piping is touching the fuel tank. Either the pipe itself or the fuel tank shield, Just to be safe. Maybe that visible hanger on the side is reason enough to get some SVT plastic to cover it up.

Just my luck...3 years of SVT Contour and I get the oddball experimental exhaust.

Not quite. There were different tank configurations, IIRC, and the piping bends were slightly different to accomodate the routing around certain fuel tanks. This is not a new issue, Truebendz.com had to deal with a few fitment issues when they first came out with the Contour exhaust systems.

I have a '99 Mystiqe that I wanted to install an SVT exhaust onto, but I ran in to that exact problem. I just hacked the rear of the SVT exhaust off just before the Y split in back, welded it to my existing piping after the tank, and added the obligatory passenger side hanger. DONE.
:cool:

yeah but what about all that 2.25" piping goodness that you are losing?

That would leave me with 2.25" from the SVT main cat -> 2" piping ->2"x2 split piping.

thanks

thanks

well thanks for letting us know, for a guy like me trying to find an SVT exhaust for my mystique, it's good to know now that it's not a direct bolt on and that it'll indeed require some modification. Luckily my plan will basically be to bring the exhaust along with my magnaflow parts to my local muffler shop to perform the work at standard labour cost of $50 an hour :s

well thanks for letting us know, for a guy like me trying to find an SVT exhaust for my mystique, it's good to know now that it's not a direct bolt on and that it'll indeed require some modification. Luckily my plan will basically be to bring the exhaust along with my magnaflow parts to my local muffler shop to perform the work at standard labour cost of $50 an hour :s

if you have other parts that you are going to use why not just get a system installed from an exhasut shop? I am sure there are those out there that want the SVT exhaust stock

Well don't rush to quickly dismiss it as needing modification. I got a bit unlucky but the odds are that you would find one that bolts up directly. Just make sure you check everything first.

I was unlucky also.
I got a SVT exhaust for my daughter's 98.5 SE, the exhaust came from an early 98 SVT. It wasn't a direct bolt-up either. :(

IIRC, the exhaust shop put in a new piece of pipe so that it would fit around the gas tank.

Not knowing any reputable shops in CT, Steph took the advice of someone at the dealership she worked at and went to what turned out to be a crappy shop.
The bend is fine but the exhaust isn't as straight as it should be and there are two small leaks in the welds. Funny, the dealership was going to put it on for her but they couldn't figure out how to install it since it wouldn't bolt right up. :shrug: :crazy:

When she comes home to get her winter wheels put on I'm sending her to a shop here to have it fixed up.

never heard of that happening at all. huh. When i went to go get my svt exhaust I should have just taken some ramps, took kit, universal hanger and a hack saw. Could have driven the car up on the ramps, disconnected the two bolts, remove the old exhaust, bolt up the new exhaust, hack up old exhaust to fit in car better. Why go to a shop to get it installed? The only tough part might be getting those bolts off.

never heard of that happening at all. huh. Why go to a shop to get it installed?

I never heard of it either until we ran into the problem. There are a few others out there that encountered the same problem.
Since it wasn't a direct bolt up she had to take it to a shop.

I dont know of any reputable shops in CT either. I had Monro Muffler bend the bent piping back into place for $20 but i dont know if i would have them replace entire segments of piping.

It looks to me as if that SVT exhaust was bent up and someone sort-of bent it back into shape. my understanding of the difference between the two different SVT exhausts was simply flange changes.

It has been well known , for many years that E0 & E1 SVT exhausts are different . An E0 exhaust will fit '95-98 cars , but not 98.5 & on . An E1 SVT exhaust will fit ALL years of Contiques .
depends of the pre98s have a wide enough underpassage. look at the pic my brother posted. if the pre98 has a narrow straight passage, then the post 98 wont fit into the passage because its piping on the left goes further left than the pre98. u might run into the opposite problem of what my brother did.

Back