• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch & Header Install

KyleQ

Hard-core CEG'er
Tyler and I started the teardown this afternoon after work - we met our goal tonight. We wanted the engine and trans out of the car and the transmission removed - we easily did that.

My clutch was horribly slipping and in dire need of replacement. Headers were purchased awhile back and only add to the fun.

Who cares about the details - on to the pictures! :laugh:
(sorry about them being dark - my cheap camera has been dropped too many times and is having 'issues')

The mound of parts

DSCI0031.jpg

It begins

DSCI0032.jpg

DSCI0033.jpg

DSCI0034.jpg

Making sure everything is ok

DSCI0035.jpg

Little yank here, little yank there
DSCI0036.jpg

It is moving!

DSCI0037.jpg

Little bit more

DSCI0038.jpg

Almost there

DSCI0039.jpg

Where do these wires go?

DSCI0040.jpg

Success!

DSCI0041.jpg

This isn't a clean job...

DSCI0042.jpg

What a mess...

DSCI0043.jpg

Why did I climb in here again?

DSCI0044.jpg

The verdict...

DSCI0045.jpg

Nothing left of this one...

DSCI0046.jpg

"Some" pitting and heat scoring
DSCI0047.jpg

This is normal right? :laugh:

DSCI0048.jpg

In the morning I drive to Tousley Ford and get Ford honey, header gaskets, Ford TB, antifreeze, and power steering fluid from Steve...

THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP SO FAR TYLER!

Last edited:
So, when I am about to blow up my engine I can just run down there to have you guys help me throw it in, right? :laugh: How long did it take to get it out?

So, when I am about to blow up my engine I can just run down there to have you guys help me throw it in, right? :laugh: How long did it take to get it out?

About 3 3/4 hours. We ran and got a picker half way through the install and also stopped to eat some food. Longer then we hoped - but it went suprisingly smoother, nothing really got broken (too badly :laugh:)

if we didnt BS we coulda had it out in 3 hours easy but we talk too much.

hey kyle if your still awake, go squirt some pb blaster on the exhaust bolts so the studs don't break off tomorrow.

if we didnt BS we coulda had it out in 3 hours easy but we talk too much.

hey kyle if your still awake, go squirt some pb blaster on the exhaust bolts so the studs don't break off tomorrow.

I am lucky to get my car up on ramps in that amount of time. :laugh:

What do you have the chain on the hoist hooked up to?

I am lucky to get my car up on ramps in that amount of time. :laugh:

dont use ramps!

i had my svt on the ramps in the garage changing the oil. when i went to back off, they slid and i had to jack the car up to get them out! they were wedged against the front bumper. since then, i just used jack stands for changing the oil. scared the crap out of me.

dont use ramps!

i had my svt on the ramps in the garage changing the oil. when i went to back off, they slid and i had to jack the car up to get them out! they were wedged against the front bumper. since then, i just used jack stands for changing the oil. scared the crap out of me.

I normally change it at my friends house but his floor jack is just too high to get under the bumper well. So we just use ATV ramps as extensions to get it up on the ramps. :laugh:

I normally change it at my friends house but his floor jack is just too high to get under the bumper well. So we just use ATV ramps as extensions to get it up on the ramps. :laugh:

heres a trick for getting low cars onto a cloor jack. put down some 2x4's and drive onto them. the extra heigh usually is enough to get jack underneith. i had to do this with both my cars

That is a ballancer - it lets us lift one side of the engine more then the other - really made the job easier... I only had 1 mounting tab on the motor so we used the passanger side motor mount to lift from... worked exelent.

Yup, I usually use the leveler with one chain running down to a starter bolt (no starter) one to a tranny bolt on the other side and then two on the passenger motor mount. Works pretty slick that way. ;)

Looks to me like Tyler was doing all the work :p

well he took all the pics, lol. i did most of the disconnections on the top side and the radiator stuff while kyle got the suspension out. i didnt want to do all the work this time. i basically did the whole removal of the trans when we did his LSD, but this time around, kyle knew damn well what he had to do to get the axles out, so he went at it. we work well together, hopefully we can drive it around this evening :)

well he took all the pics, lol. i did most of the disconnections on the top side and the radiator stuff while kyle got the suspension out. i didnt want to do all the work this time. i basically did the whole removal of the trans when we did his LSD, but this time around, kyle knew damn well what he had to do to get the axles out, so he went at it. we work well together, hopefully we can drive it around this evening :)

Amen to that! Just got back from Ford - my phone was dead, so I'm calling you in a few Tyler...

Did you already have an aftermarket Y pipe?

Edit: And why didn't you guys just leave the AC pump in there? I usually remove a lot more stuff than a normal person before I even start to pull the engine.

Last edited:
Did you already have an aftermarket Y pipe?

Edit: And why didn't you guys just leave the AC pump in there? I usually remove a lot more stuff than a normal person before I even start to pull the engine.

That is a Weapon-R y-pipe

Why didn't you tell that to use a couple of days ago? That fawking A/C shuff is always in the way...

The motor is in and resting on it's own... We had that done in a few hrs and buttoned up a few more things before Tyler had to leave. I got all of the suspension installed and ready for wheels. It took an extremely long amount of time though...

Drivers side is always easy - that was 15 min tops. The passanger side always sucks. For some reason the damn CV doesn't want to spline into the hub all of the way - just 1/8" short of me being able to start threading on the CV nut. I get angry and pull it out and look at the threads - mashed... Somewhere they got hit and now thing will thread onto it... I get a file - no luck. I get some magnifying loops and a razor blade - no luck either. I finally decide to cut apart the CV nut (4 mini nuts clamped together with intragel washer) and take a dremmel and cut a groove out of one of the nuts. Then I pounded it onto the end of the CV shaft and started threading it up and down. Because it was cut, it wasn't as tight as it should have been - so I put a vise grips on the nut very tightly and ran it through the mashed areas a few times. I ran it 5 or 6 times and was able to get another nut threaded onto the end of the CV. At this point I knew it was good enough for use so I slid the CV back into the transmission and as far as I could get it into the hub. I was able to thread the nut on and pull the shaft where it needed to be - what a waste of time... At least Tyler wasn't waiting on my to get that to work - everything is buttoned up and ready for the final stuff in the morning.

Back