• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno Numbers after 3L

bradSVT

CEG'er
Here are the numbers that I got on the dyno today. I am really disappointed because I thought I would be pushing more. The tuning job was done fine but I felt like there were other things that could have been changed to increase performance. My dyno was done on a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer. I asked why the numbers were so low and he told me that he had the same car dyno’d on the same day within a half hour on their dyno and a dynojet up the street and the dynojet showed +20hp/tq on the machine. I don’t know if any of you had your cars done on this machine but I am upset with the numbers I think they should be much better. I went with the most expensive 3L swap hoping for more power, and also added all the bolt ons for this car hopefully it is the dynamometer/the tune job.

DynoTuneNew.jpg

Hopefully I will get some ideas from you guys. I want to get another tune eventually because I don’t think I am satisfied with this one. I feel the gains but I am hungry for more.

Also on my way home from the tuner I hit the roads trying out this tune and when I got off the freeway I had no brakes. My brake had lost the vacuum that had sealed itself shut on the EGR tube so I ended up luckily having the car in front of me turned right and I went sliding through the red light. The downshifting and e-braking along with that car moving saved what would have been a large and painful accident. Very scary stuff…

HPIM0790-1.jpg

Hp seems a little low. Not sure how extensive your mods are or what 3.0L setup your running. Torque seems excellent though. I bet there are some extra ponies to be had. Seems like something is hurting your top end seeing that your only making peak hp at 6,000 rpms. Im assuming your running the SVT cams?

Hp seems a little low. Not sure how extensive your mods are or what 3.0L setup your running. Torque seems excellent though. I bet there are some extra ponies to be had. Seems like something is hurting your top end seeing that your only making peak hp at 6,000 rpms. Im assuming your running the SVT cams?

x2
I ran my 2.5 on the same type of dyno. I could show you my dyno but basically you beat my tq by 28 ft lbs, sounds about right mine was fairly well modded but only beat my peak hp by about 10whp. My peak hp numbers were right around 6600 rpms which makes beyondloadedSE's statement seem logical to me. what are you running for exhaust?

My exhaust setup: WR headers w/ ypipe down to my flexpipe and trubendz 2.5 inch exhaust with three res. one center 22" and two 18"'s at the tips. My tq was awesome but I do agree that the HP is weak. I am also running the SVT cams.

If it's true that dynoing on another dyno could add up to 20hp more to what you put down, I'd say it's not bad at all. But something is up with the power dropping off. Maybe the tune. Did you get air fuel reading while dynoing?

Dont sweat the low numbers. The DD dynos are great units but produce heart breaking numbers.

Use the following example:

First pic: SZ05. DynoJet
SZDyno.jpg

Second pic: 6 months later, cleaned intake manifolds (off the car) and Magnecors (both in an effort to clean up the mess in the first graph). Dyno Dynamics
Dyno5.jpg

The guy that was running the DD unit (is a scoobie tuner) says that wrx's and STi's come in and dyno 25-35whp less than a DynoJet.

So in actuality, your numbers are pretty decent. If you want to feel better about it, go take some pulls on a DynoJet. Comparing across dyno brands is a fruitless endevor.

If it's true that dynoing on another dyno could add up to 20hp more to what you put down, I'd say it's not bad at all. But something is up with the power dropping off. Maybe the tune. Did you get air fuel reading while dynoing?

I agree, Your exhaust sounds like it should be breathing well :) Do you have the A/F for your run? I would think reguardless of the kind of dyno you should still be making more power past 6k especially with SVT Cams.

My exhaust setup: WR headers w/ ypipe down to my flexpipe and trubendz 2.5 inch exhaust with three res. one center 22" and two 18"'s at the tips. My tq was awesome but I do agree that the HP is weak. I am also running the SVT cams.

Dude, what is your intake looking like? Seems like you have a restriction in the intake, or you are running way rich up top.

I could fix that last one... :D

Man though, those headers really helped....look at all that fatty torque you've got; and it isn't just a torque spike either.

**What about your IMRC, is it working right? Check the actuator rod to make sure both sides are opening and not just one side. Those little clips get old and break and it can fall out.

Last edited:
Ya the tuner played with the IMRC and it just gave me a loss in both hp (very small amount) and tq (also a small amount) and just evened out the timing curve. When that happened I thought something was up.

Ya war if you want to fix anything its fine with me! :D

Ya I dont know why he let off at 6k. Where is the usual place? I would do a run on a dynojet if i had the extra cash. I need to change my spark plugs and wires I wonder if that had anything to do with the results.

He let off at 6k? That's where you should be making your peak hp. You can/should probably have them rev it up to around 7k on the dyno especially since you have no rev limiter anymore i'm assuming. When i dynoed mine i had them take it to 7k and it was making power almost the entire way. You could probably go even a little higher but it's not really necessary.

Ya war if you want to fix anything its fine with me! :D

I don't think he can really fix your problem seeing as your a/f isn't THAT rich at high rpms. you could lean it out a little bit but that's not going to be much difference. You're in the high 12's which is barely off from the estimated 13:1 people usually are shooting for.
I'd worry if you were around 10:1 but your 12's look pretty good.

my 3L with WR headers/Ypipe, Trubendz Magnaflow exhaust, Trubendz high flow cat, CAI, and chip tuned in person by Keith at ADC put down 220hp and similar amount of tq, cant recall the exact #s.

Back