• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

joining the club.......

i had it on for 6 miles, and the bearings blew. i have not put the blower back on yet, so i suppose the answer would be no. i need a better intercooler anyhow, that one is too small it seems. i'll have it on soon as i get a daily driver, or it turns spring. whichever comes first.

oh i should add however, chris (blackcoog) who i bought it from, ran it for around 100-120 miles and it worked fine but it got loud before i bought it. he suggested i get new bearings put in it but i just tried it without replacing them first..... and what may have happenned was i ran the car without a blowoff valve, along with a restrictive intercooler, and i think i surged the compressor housing..... making the bearing seal on the inside blow itself into the balls of the bearing thus ruining them. when chris talked to T.K. he said that only a few things could have made the blower bearings go out, and one of them was the BOV, which we never mentioned to him so it's not like he just chose that to blame. also he said that the ribbed belt could have been too tight (but it wasnt). if this doesnt work this time, i'm going to add onto the mount with a tab going down and extend the shaft to the other side, which will have another bearing mounted onto it, so it wil have 3 total, and almost all the bearing side pressure will be reduced to nothing. hopefully, however, i wont have to do that. the new bearings must be a larger set because he respaced the inner end of the pulley out on the charger' unit. (he's lucky it fit though, he spaced it out almost too far lol!)

thanks :) it'll be up without the intercooler first to see how the boost levels look, then with the intercooler to see how much i lose. from there i'll decide if i need to invest in a good water/air setup. i hope to get a larger engine side pulley soon also so i can run more boost, up around 14 psi at the compressor would be great, making about 11 at the TB. :) we'll see

I am jealous :drool:. If all the bugs get worked out with this kit I might just have to invest in one next summer :D.

Aaron

honestly, if you buy a kit from T.K. you will get something totally different. the mount is custom made, the pulley setup is all redone, and the compressor is almost twice as big as the one he usually gives. however, if this setup proves to be reliable for at least one oil change cycle, i'd be willing to sell it, to build a turbo kit. like i keep saying though, this all depends on how things go. i havent decided yet what i want to do, but a turbo will be more efficient in the end. the blower is easier to deal with, and should give a 55-75 HP increase depending on the pulley you use.

yes the thrust loads are large, even with the belt low on tension. i'm gonna fix it, and probably sell it eventually. i'm still contemplating if i want this car for keeps.....i cant decide. also, i cant really decide what i want to do with it... someday i'm going to have a RX7 with a big single turbo on it, so if i end up saving lots of dough, i might just sell the contour and throw in the towel. we'll see.

round 2...... putting her back on, should be done tomorrow. pics once its complete, but im piping where the intercooler was to see if the boost is better..... i still gotta figure out how to move the MAF, it wont fit where i wanted it. plus im waiting 2 loooooong weeks to get the polished aluminum coolant reservoir so i've got this tiny little one that barely lets the hood close. so dont bother to flame those parts, they will be changed. i'm probably gonna get a water/air intercooler.....and all that good stuff to go along with it....but its too late to finish i gota work early so im gonna drive the ole' man's truck and leave her in the garage overnight :) laterz

one thing that does scare me, is the belt tension. the ribbed belt is supposed to run loose, but i have it set as loose as it goes and the belt is tight as a banjo, and its the same one i had before, just brand new. hopefully it will stretch a bit and give itself some slack, but either way....if the bearings go, the supercharger isnt going back on the car again.

Last edited:
If for some reason he put a different pulley on it again and the belt is too tight you may want to cut the slots in the bracket so they are longer to give you some more room for belt adjustment to give it some slack.

It is not internally geared. The gearing is done with the pulley setup which is held in place with the bracket. There is a cog pulley on the head unit which spins a large cog pulley that has a small 4 rib pulley on it that spins off of another power steering pulley stacked onto the stock powersteering pulley.

chris..... the belt im using is the spare one you gave me, but its the exact same size as the old belt. the pulley is the same one, i dont see why it would be tight. it's not extremely tight, but i want it looser. i'm not taking it off again unless it blows up this time, it took me 4 hours to get it mostly together yesterday. i'm gonna throw it in a box and sell the F#$Kn thing if it goes again. thus far, i am extremely dissapointed.

You guys ever thought about switching to a Rotrex supercharger?

They are dimensionally small, yet are extremely effecient up to roughly 240,000 rpms. Seriously they are about the size of the alternator on the car.
This is the same supercharge Koenigsegg uses on the CCR & CCX. Jackson Racing is going to be developping kits int he near future with them as well.

Rotrex5.jpg

TechRotrex1.gif

Last edited:
I hope everything goes well man, I've gota ride around in your car, and you still have to take out the Torsen 3L. Keep us updated, and dont be shy with the camera!

Back