• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spuddering svt

97vulcan

CEG'er
hello all,

when i am rolling about 10 miles an hour in 1st and floor it, my svt shakes, spudders, and has a lack of power until about 3200 rpm. I know my secondaries are working so its not the imrc or secondaries. I think I might have a slight vacuum leak, but I don't know why I am stumbling when I floor it, also is like this through all the gears, when in the low rpms. Any ideas or anything I should check. The spark plugs and wires and coil are all new.

thanks,
Adam

complete some basic maintinence items like now plugs and wires, air and fuel filters, etc.

post any active or pending code

plugs/wires/coilpack would be my first guess.. high load, low rpm..

Who said anything about "new".

a loose plug, arcing/knicked wire (even "new" wires are faulty, or... get this: knicked upon install.. wow! :D :D), loose coilpack connection, coil ground cable, moisture in the plug boot, etc, etc are ALL options.

Fuel problems could, in fact, cause these issues, but the troubleshooting and/or replacement costs are more expensive than spark/ignition parts. If the spark parts are PROVEN to not be the problem, then fuel would be the next logical step.

You can always borrow a fuel pressure gauge, tie it in the to valve at the fuel rail and run the hoses in to the cabin or to the windshield so you can see it when it occurs. Measure idle and then load/WOT pressures.

Swap the old wires back and see what happens. I've had new wires go bad before and I never did figure out why.

Now I buy lifetime warranty wires so I just stop in for a new pair when it starts to hesitate down low under throttle.

it did this even with the old plugs and wires, and coil pack. I am guessing a fuel thing. Possibly a fuel filter? Would this cause this as well?

thanks,
Adam

Back