• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0305 - Escape V6

iBrent

Veteran CEG'er
Not sure if I should put this in the 3.0L Duratec Forum or general troubleshooting. Please move if necessary.

This morning my fiancé's Escape (3L Duratec) was running extremely bad. CEL came on a few blocks later. Took it to autozone got the codes read: P0305, cylinder 5 misfire. Removed the spark plug, it looked fine. Couldn't find the coil pack. Turns out its coil-on-plug, and they are expensive. So I took the coil/boot from cylinder 5 and moved it to cylinder 6 so see if the misfire event would follow the coil/boot to cylinder 6. After I did that, the misfiring feeling went away and it ran great. The CEL was still on so I took it back to autozone.

P0305 remains. They wouldn't clear the code for me. Is there another way to clear the code so I don't have to wait 500 miles to see if I fixed it?

Thanks everyone.

unhook battery for a few minutes? or find the proper fuses to pull for a few minutes?

I don't want to unhook the battery cause she would lose her radio presets and everything. I've attached the fuse box layout, so would I pull the 5A EEC (KPWR) and the 30A EEC?

Attachments

• fusebox.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 0
...so would I pull the 5A EEC (KPWR) and the 30A EEC?
Yes. Note if you get a new code later and it is P0306, then you know it is the COP or the wires. If you get a P0305 again, then it is either the spark plug or (fuel injector 5 or 1).

Last edited:
A buddy of mine who has several Lincolns with the same coil-on-plug setup says its usually just the boots that fails. The coils themselves last forever. Have you heard of this?

The boot is 13 bucks, the entire coil/boot assembly is 67. I'm hoping its just the former.

I reset the PCM by removing the fuses as suggested earlier. I then drove it for about 10 miles (3 on interstate, 7 backroads) with mixed driving. The CEL has not come back on nor has drivability been reduced. How long will it take before it updates? Or does this mean I'm good to go?

There is a certain amount of "stop and go", continous city and highway driving that you have to do to go through the OBDII cycle. If you really must do it right away, pull out the Owners' Manual and follow the instructions for it.

Edit. OBDIIcycle OBDIIdrivecycle

Ford OBDII drive cycle
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

or download Owners' Manual from www.fleet.ford.com

Last edited:
A buddy of mine who has several Lincolns with the same coil-on-plug setup says its usually just the boots that fails. The coils themselves last forever. Have you heard of this?

The boot is 13 bucks, the entire coil/boot assembly is 67. I'm hoping its just the former.

I usually see the coils go bad not the boots unless they are soaked in oil or something. I work at a ford dealer and use a scanner that tests the coils to see if they are bad. Usually when I get a car w/ a miss-fire, 9/10 its a coil.

Back