• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stage 2 Driveshafts

fred22

CEG'er
ok guys heres one of my first post i think on here, basically ive brought some stage 2 driveshafts from a place called ultra rev and they got delivered this past tuesday, but i got what was said on the site the left and right driveshaft, well the left one is nearest to the gearbox so thats the shortest one and the right hand side is the oppisite side of the gearbox and heres where ive got the questions, i didnt get the shaft or bit that goes into the gearbox and into the differential (ford torsen) so i thought i will just use mine but wanted to know is there an uprated part that is bein sold or do i just use my stock one, it seems a pitty that ive got stage2 driveshafts and ive gotta use my stock inner shaft? As said is there an upgraded piece bein sold or what do yall guys do? Any info greatly appreciated thanks guys :)

ok guys heres one of my first post i think on here, basically ive brought some stage 2 driveshafts from a place called ultra rev and they got delivered this past tuesday, but i got what was said on the site the left and right driveshaft, well the left one is nearest to the gearbox so thats the shortest one and the right hand side is the oppisite side of the gearbox and heres where ive got the questions, i didnt get the shaft or bit that goes into the gearbox and into the differential (ford torsen) so i thought i will just use mine but wanted to know is there an uprated part that is bein sold or do i just use my stock one, it seems a pitty that ive got stage2 driveshafts and ive gotta use my stock inner shaft? As said is there an upgraded piece bein sold or what do yall guys do? Any info greatly appreciated thanks guys :)

I think you're referring to the intermediate shaft. I'm not sure that there is an upgrade for that, though it should be pretty tough.

no even the Drive Shaft Shop doesnt even give an updated part for the intermediate shaft. you have to reuse the stock one. i havent heard of anyone with a lot of hp numbers breaking theirs with updated axles ever.

EDIT: i went on their website and saw that they arent by ultra rev they are by Drive Shaft Shop ultra rev just sells them on their site.

Last edited:
Like a contour develops enough horsepower to matter?

Like a contour develops enough horsepower to matter?

Gents

Like even a moderately hopped up contour develops enough horsepower to make uprated axles matter?

Of course if you are going to abuse the car enough to make uprate axles matter then by all means. But you WILL have other things break.

If we're gonna see more 3L Contours using nitrous or boost with grippy DRAG tires, instead of mere street tires, then we will hear more war stories about axles.

Maybe this is me talking out of optimism, but YES, axles WILL matter in a sufficiently hopped up Contour. The original poster already has a Torsen, so he's already prepared for the first weak link of drivetrain breakage. The axles are next.

Maybe the difference here is semantics over what's "moderately hopped up" and what's "sufficiently hopped up". And for some of us, "moderate" is not enough. Where's that winning lottery ticket, I wanna turbo 3L with pole120's upcoming traction mods, drag radials AND axles...

Last edited:
Gents

Like even a moderately hopped up contour develops enough horsepower to make uprated axles matter?

Of course if you are going to abuse the car enough to make uprate axles matter then by all means. But you WILL have other things break.

If you have LSD, axles are the next thing in line to break. Plenty of people have sheared their stock axles at the drag strip with just a 3.0L.

guys thank you all soo much for the replies, honestly u have put my mind at ease, i thougth i would have to ask the company like yall say the driveshaft shop but i brought them from ultra rev to make me one, so when i come to take mine off, just reuse my stock one, will i need to change anything on there, to me it looks like one end goes into the differential and held by that circlip and the other bit goes into my driveshaft again by the circlip set up, do fords sell them new or will mine be alright, my car is 10 yrs old this year bein a 98 and has only done 110k so not alot of milage, even though ive rebuilt the new engine with loads of new stuff the shafts would have been there since the car was new, i take it my stock one on there will be alright, i replaced my driveshafts because like others say here i dont like the idea of the shaft breaking in my differential and then havin no car to drive or havin problems gettin the bit that broke out, so best replace it while it will be off :)

again thanks for the help top site :cool:

all i would do is buy new cir clips from an autoparts store. reuse yours, as i said before ive never heard anyone breaking theirs.

thanks buddy will do, i got a reply back from the driveshaft shop, i forgot i emailed them a couple of days ago, well they said this:

Hi
sorry we dont supply the intermedeate bar. the factory one is made of a higher grade material than the axles and will handle more HP than the level 2 axles

so that sounds pretty good there, he says its a higher grade material than the axels so shouldnt break hopefully, i feel much better now knowin that, thanks agian for all the help :)

Btw, what material is your stage 2 axles made from? Im not familiar with the ultra rev axles. Hopefully not from billet 1117. Driveshaftshop used to make their stage 1 axles and I believe the outer housing of their stage 2 axles from billet 1117 (the rest was 4340 chromoly). Anyways, the 1117 proved not to be strong enough, so the stage 2s were practically no stronger than the stage 1s since the billet 1117 was the area that always failed. They eventually made all of the stage 2's from 4340.

Last edited:
look on ultra revs website. they buy from DSS so its the updated stage 2's unless he bought them a long time ago

yeah buddy i just got them last tuesday from ultra rev but i got the stickers from the driveshaft shop so its from them guys, just i found it bein sold from ultrarev, on the mods side, i dont want to bore yall to death but the list is big and so is the money bein spent :)

again thanks all for the help, its very much appreicated :)

I was under the impression that DSS no longer made Contour axles, and for a quite a while too. Last I checked at least, been a while.

before i brought them from ultra rev, i contacted the driveshaft shop as i did a google search and they are the only ones that came up with them, but they wanted 800 dollars plus delivery to england where as ultra rev wanted 790 delivered to england which is why i went with them, then when i was told to contact the driveshaft shop as they were the ones making them thats when i knew i was getttin them from there, but the reason why i went with ultrarev as they were a bit cheaper for the same product :)

Anyone have a link to where I can get stage 2 or stronger axle's? I have searched everywhere and cant find anything and I am going to need them. I already have drag slicks and wont dare use them till I get stronger axle's, help please!

if the driveshaft shop dont do them then u can try www.ultrarev.com they sell them there and theres where i brought mine from, they are made from the driveshaftshop so it will be the same ones, hope this helps :)

Back