• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Electrical sending units

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
I've done alot of googling but haven't really found what I was looking for...

Does anyone know how electrical sending units (pressure/temp) work as far as what they output raw? Typical output ranges? Are they linear voltages? I've seen some outputs referred to as a change in resistance. I can't find adata sheet on any brand anywhere.

I'm pretty sure the sending units are resistance devices that vary based on what they're measuring (temp or pressure). Since they're usually getting the constant voltage from a 12V source, the change in resistance would alter the current going to the gauge, which is calibrated to the range of the sending unit. I think this is how they work, but if anyone knows otherwise feel free to correct me. I pondered this too when I was installing my electric oil pressure and temperature stuff. As for values, I think it depends on the make and model of gauge so you'd need to probe the resistance of the senders. What are you looking to do?

What are you looking to do?

Wire sending units up to a microcontroller with general purpose IO and small display. After buying a gauge pod I started having second thoughts about how "loud" looking and attention grabbing it may be so doing this would be a fun project and a nice alternative.

Yes, most are based on resistance. The Haynes manual lists the resistance ranges for most of the senders/sensors.

Temperature sending units are thermistors (google that).

Pressure senders are usually either a strain-gauge that generates an output voltage based on the degree of deformation or a piezo unit that changes capacitance based on variations of pressure.

All depends on what the engineers could do with the given budget from the bean-counters.

Steve

Back