• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats your MPG??

winty87

CEG'er
As the title reads, tell me your MPG. I wanna if this minor misfire is causing a drop in my mpg or if its the fact that i'm driving a 10 year old car and it really is getting this crappy mpg. A huge portion of my driving is highway at 75mph, I shift around 3750-4k change my oil on schedule and if i'm lucky i'm getting 260 per tank. My car is bone stock so if your car is too that'd be good and if your's isn't lemme know what you were getting when it was stock.

I get up to 18 on my work commute and up to 24 pure highway, driving 80 or so. All stock. Thats about 300 miles to a tank, sometimes a little more.

PS: If you search you will see this is asked every month or 2

Last edited:
i can squeeze 300+ out of a tank, stock 2.5 SE. averages out to like 22-24mpg. You aren't alone though, there are some others getting crap mileage. i think sprebound says he's lucky to pull 260 out of a tank, but his mileage increases in the summer. Michigan sucks dude.

I drive the car the way I want to, and don't granny shift it. I do not beat the car, but I'm not shy about spirited motoring. With matched rev shifts and frequent quick acceleration (no tire spinning, of course), I get between 21 and 23, depending on how much time I spend in traffic. I'm pretty damn pleased with that number out of a high perfomance car. I don't have the greatest handle on highway mileage right now, but expect that 28 is totally doable. If we were talking MTBE gas instead of this ethanol cat pee, I betcha I'd be in the 30s on the freeway. :cool:

I never said, city driving, I get only 200 or so miles to a tank. (maybe 250 if I go easy and drive on E for a while)

Well it doesn't seem like i'm the only one getting crap mileage. I'm really bummin out about my 22 mpg max. I mean I can't do anything do get into 25. I miss my mazda with my 425-450 miles per tank :(

I get about 200 a tank with the city driving around san antonio, sucks bawls... I think I could squeeze 250 out of it on the highway. If I stroke it to E as well

29MPG averaged on a cross-country drive. I think I'm getting 25MPG now (90% highway driving) but don't drive it much in the winter.

Old stock 2.5 engine: 25 - 25.5
Current 3L: 22 - 23

I will see after the headers are put on what mpg i will be getting.

Winter I average about 27-28MPG mixed city/highway, spring fall and summer I get about 30 or over, usually about 32-33 on the highway. Yeah, I shift at 2,500 and someone called me a grandma for it, but my MPG beats everyone. Plus I think my car was broken in sorta spirited, almost exactly how I drive, so it really matches my driving style, usually shift around 2,500, but winding out through 3rd a lot too.

I've been keeping rediculously anal records of my fill ups and miles driven since I got the car in Oct. My average right now is 25.11 mpg. That's 45 miles one way, daily rural highway then freeway commuting with a non-healthy dose of stop and go most days.

I do stay out of the secondaries for the most part. I try to hit the corners hard, but going fast in a straight line during regular diving doesn't have the appeal it once did. Except, of course, when I really just need to feel the pull and hear the music!

Took a long drive to Dayton last weekend and hit 27.29 mpg. Best tankfull so far.

CSVT gas mileage sucks balls! I miss my TSX, in the winter I would average 26-28mpg and in warmer weather 30-33mpg and that was all city driving. It had a 5 speed automatic.

Has anyone changed the gearing on there svt, because it seems like they are geared way to low

CSVT gas mileage sucks balls! I miss my TSX, in the winter I would average 26-28mpg and in warmer weather 30-33mpg and that was all city driving. It had a 5 speed automatic.

Has anyone changed the gearing on there svt, because it seems like they are geared way to low

I think the gearing is the key. I was getting around 25-26 when I was commuting all highway at about 75 ish. Since I moved, my commute is more like 40-50 mph, and my mileage has increased to a 27-29 range, I even hit 30+ on a couple tanks where I drove real easy.

Back