• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust stuffing???

:confused: Well this is a weird one, this morning I started up the car and as I was clearing snow from it, noticed what looked like "stringy" material coming out the tail pipe. So I started pulling on it and long strands of, what looks like insulation came out car is a 98 with 2.5. There is 145000 KM on the car so I doubt that it's the original exhaust on there. Could this be remnants of Glass pack mufflers? Don't know what is on the car, only had it for 2 months. Could some neighbourhood kids have decided that it would be funny shoving crap up my car's tailpipe? anybody else ever come accross something like that? I'll have to take a closer look tonight to see if there isn't any more stuffing in there. Otherwise the car drove ok.

If it is not neighborhood kids, then it could be small animals (mice, chipmunks, etc.) if the car was kept out in the open at the dealership before you bought it.

I have never hear of muffler coming apart before if it is a stock system. I have the original exhaust on my 95 with near 200k on it.

can you provide a picture of the material?

I do know the cats can come apart but they powder when they do ...

The cats have that weird mesh like material that surrounds the screens, but I can't imagine that made it all the way out through the rest of the exhaust. :shrug:

I don't know why you couldn't have the original exhaust at 145km, the oem system will last a long time.

I would also blame it on rodents, they like to use parked cars as homes.

I have never hear of muffler coming apart before if it is a stock system. I have the original exhaust on my 95 with near 200k on it.

can you provide a picture of the material?

I do know the cats can come apart but they powder when they do ...

I live in the rust belt, it's like soaking everything in a bath of brine for 6 months of the year, nothing lasts long in those condtions which is why I would not be suprised if this is not the original exhaust. I'll try to see if the material did not make out with the garbage, I had left it in the driveway and even my dad was wondering what it was. ( but I'm still betting on borred kids) :rolleyes:

I live in the rust belt, it's like soaking everything in a bath of brine for 6 months of the year, nothing lasts long in those condtions which is why I would not be suprised if this is not the original exhaust. I'll try to see if the material did not make out with the garbage, I had left it in the driveway and even my dad was wondering what it was. ( but I'm still betting on borred kids) :rolleyes:

Northern MN here and I have NEVER had to change out the exhaust on a car because of rust.

Ford puts out some of the highest quality exhaust systems -- they're very durable. My SVT has its stock setup at 123K, and it's stellar. While I changed the mufflers on my SHO to higher flow units that offered a bit more growl, I had them welded to the stock piping (with stock cats) that was on the car when I sold it at 221,938 miles.

My feeling on insulation is that you'd be far more likely to see it from the outside of the muffler case than actually inside the tailpipe.

Back