• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

in need of clutch

so im looking around for a new clutch. i just dont think im going to run a spec. so i have been searching for outs in other cars that match. i have come to find that the cougar 2.0 has same clutch and svt focus seems to be same. dont really understand why svt contour has like the same clutch as zx3 focus.

but anyways, need opinions on what others have used. i have been looking at clutchnet and possibly going that route. i really wanted act, but havent found svt focus nore cougar on their list.

If you are working on a V6, the factory SVT clutch is a worthy upgrade and will hold all the power you can get of of a 2.5 as well as hold up to all but forced induction 3.0 conversions. Check out Bill Jenkins at Team Ford in Las Vegas.

get the factory SVT clutch or a SPEC stage 1. I dont think the SVT Contour clutch is the same as the focus zx3. Their throw out bearings are definetely different.

ah i dont need a throw out bearing. its already new. i was just looking at disc diameter and spline diameter/count. the svt contour has pretty much the same size disc as a normal zx3. the svt focus, cougar, and probe 2.2 turbo seem to have same clutch dimensions.

but right now car is on thin ice. more problems have popped up that now need adressed.

bringing this back...................

ive been looking and now have been thinking about a clutchnet kit for a 2.5 cougar. same diameter and splines of course. but was wondering if anyone has used clutchnet kits? im really interested after seeing an "extreme" pressure plate, if it truly lives to what they say. i like the clutch stiff.

bringing this back...................

ive been looking and now have been thinking about a clutchnet kit for a 2.5 cougar. same diameter and splines of course. but was wondering if anyone has used clutchnet kits? im really interested after seeing an "extreme" pressure plate, if it truly lives to what they say. i like the clutch stiff.

Almost all of us go with the tried and proven SPEC clutch kits. I honestly dont know if you could possibly get a better clutch for our cars. Get a SPEC 1. You could throw everything youve got at a SPEC 1 clutch and wont let up one bit. It easily could withstand a Vortech SC and I think even a T-28 ADC turbo kit. Y2KSVT's beats the absolute crap out of his SPEC 1 and its held up fine to occasional powershifting, numerous passes at the drag strip, and 75 shot of nitrous. 30K miles later, its still holding up nicely. Seems like an easy decision to me. ;)

ive never heard spec as tried and proven. ive heard tried and busted. all i get is bad things from spec. dsm guys have issues, saturn, bimmers, corvettes, etc. im not risking my chances on them.

they have not proven anything to me to buy their clutch. im afraid to buy a clutch from spec, clutch masters, and centerforce. i have absolutely roasted a centerforce dual friction clutch in my saturn. make it through the break in period, then get on it, and i burn the clutch. i then proceded to take out my frustrations, so i destroyed that clutch which made me happy. i then stick a cheap stock clutch from aav in and held everything i put at it.

and i want a stiffer clutch pedal. all the spec clutchs i have felt are like stock. stock pressure has no feel to me. pretty much, ive seen like a ratio of 80% for problems with spec, and 20% good. i just dont have the trust.

Tried and proven amongst the Contour/Cougar community. Best bang for the buck clutch for our platform, hands down. There honestly, just isnt a better clutch. I think just about everyone here can back me up on that one. Some people might have problems with a SPEC clutch every blue moon but I cant recall when someone had a problem. Thats true with every clutch manufacturor, but I think SPEC makes a quality clutch. The mustang guys love them.

If your looking for a stiffer than stock pedal feel though, SPEC isnt going to give you that. Youll probably have to have something custom made if your going for that or buy a car with a larger aftermarket clutch selection.

Last edited:
oh yeah, i need a stiffer pedal. a 2 year old kid could easily operate this clutch. and yeah i know, car wasnt made for performance. just that i have to drive it and having to operate the clutch sucks, as i do work my legs out (450lbs+ leg press on my small 160lbs body). i usually have trouble releasing and grind the clutch out, because i think the clutch is engaged, but isnt.

so yeah i need stiffer, so spec wont work anyways.

oh yeah, i need a stiffer pedal. a 2 year old kid could easily operate this clutch. and yeah i know, car wasnt made for performance. just that i have to drive it and having to operate the clutch sucks, as i do work my legs out (450lbs+ leg press on my small 160lbs body). i usually have trouble releasing and grind the clutch out, because i think the clutch is engaged, but isnt.

so yeah i need stiffer, so spec wont work anyways.

The spec stage 3 is for you then! 450 ft-lbs holding power.....well maybe it won't challenge your legs though as it is still easy to push.

Just for sh|ts and grins: 450lbs*sqrt(2)/2 is actual weight pressed on a leg press BTW That equates to around 315lbs minus any balance/back work.

So yep, I think you are strong enough to handle a spec stage3.....

i love an act 6 puck unpsrung clutch with the heavy duty pressure plate. that feels normal to me. its an awesome clutch.

so are you saying the spec stage 3 is stiffer? if so, who was the person on here that was selling spec clutches? i need to weigh my options here and decide if i want to explore into spec. ive been wanting to try out the fidanza clutch (probably one for a focus, as my throw out bearing is new) but cant seem to find a place that sells it.

im not going into a custom clutch for this, because im going to for my saturn. going to have rps make me one in like a year or so. but after i build the car, im going to have an act 6-puck in it till i build up the bank for rps to build me a clutch, and ive got the stock set up to send them.

i love an act 6 puck unpsrung clutch with the heavy duty pressure plate. that feels normal to me. its an awesome clutch.

so are you saying the spec stage 3 is stiffer? if so, who was the person on here that was selling spec clutches? i need to weigh my options here and decide if i want to explore into spec. ive been wanting to try out the fidanza clutch (probably one for a focus, as my throw out bearing is new) but cant seem to find a place that sells it.

im not going into a custom clutch for this, because im going to for my saturn. going to have rps make me one in like a year or so. but after i build the car, im going to have an act 6-puck in it till i build up the bank for rps to build me a clutch, and ive got the stock set up to send them.
If you like an unsprung clutch then you will be fine with a spec stage3.

I will tell you that some spec stage3 clutches bed in really nice and there is little to no chatter and they are very streetable once you drive it around for a day to get used to it. It also is fairly gentle on the flywheel, at least on the stock flywheel in my opinion.
Worth the money if you need the clamp pressure and durability.

The clutch disc has no effect on pedal effort. The pressure plate is what is important if you want a stiffer clutch. They will have stronger springs and make it harder to push. They will also allow for greater clamping force.

Back