• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ready for spring?

Well, after 7 hours of clearing solid water (90% ice 10% snow) yesterday I'm all done with winter. For those that don't know we got it pretty bad in NH on Wednesday. 7 inches of light fluffy snow then 3.5 inches of rain = 3 inches of solid water as mentioned above. 60-70 lbs per shovel full and needing to throw it over the 8 ft snow banks. 2 hours in the pouring rain standing in 3-4 inches of water on Wednesday night just to get enough open to get the truck and Mazda in the driveway. Then yesterday the ice chipping part. I used a spade shovel more suited for digging holes in dirt to plant trees and stuff to clear the crap out. To clear where the city plow closed off the driveway there was a 4 ft diameter boulder of ice that I had to hack up and throw the pieces by hand. At least the driveway is flat now, but still ice covered.

Lets see. From the garage to the street is probably 30 shovel widths and from side to side is about 20, so total area is about 600 scoops. Times 65 lbs per scoop = 39,000 lbs (19.5 tons). Add some more onto there for the snowbank created by the plow and were probably around the 22 ton range. I thought the 300 lbs in grass clipping per week in the spring was bad. I'll take that now please!

I've been considering using a flamethrower for snow/ice removal for years.

hey hey hey......forgeting some people, are we?

pfft, if you don't have money for SZ, then you don't have money to go anywhere else. :p

Jay, I'm with you on the flamethrower thing. I almost called Mike yesterday to see what he thought about pouring gas over the snow, lighting a match and RUNNING LIKE HELL!
Think it'd work? :D

pfft, if you don't have money for SZ, then you don't have money to go anywhere else. :p

Jay, I'm with you on the flamethrower thing. I almost called Mike yesterday to see what he thought about pouring gas over the snow, lighting a match and RUNNING LIKE HELL!

Put bricks around the driveway for containment.

Then use equal parts gasoline and frozen orange juice concentrate. Light from a distance.

So much easier than shoveling/scraping. :)

hey hey hey......forgeting some people, are we?

The honorary Minnesota New Englander. :laugh:

For what it's worth, how about the Florida Keys? Islamorada is within easy reach from Key West, and it's a nice, quiet place to enjoy fresh seafood and a beer, look out over the azure water, or fish if you're inclined, as some are. Just a few of the great things to see and do in the south Florida -- Miami is not far away, either.

Don't think that didn't cross my mind. I also thought about shooting down a plane so that it would crash in the driveway thereby clearing it of ice, although I'd have to clear wreakage and body parts at that point.

At least it was sunny although I was getting blinded by all the white! I should have worn sunglasses. A coworker said that he thought I just got back from a trip down south, because I guess I got wind/sun burn! haha

Priorities :laugh: Like who wants to go to MI anyways? I have never been to someplace warm and tropical before, especially during winter. Would be an extreamly nice change of pace.

Don't think that didn't cross my mind. I also thought about shooting down a plane so that it would crash in the driveway thereby clearing it of ice, although I'd have to clear wreakage and body parts at that point.

At least it was sunny although I was getting blinded by all the white! I should have worn sunglasses. A coworker said that he thought I just got back from a trip down south, because I guess I got wind/sun burn! haha

This is when the FBI starts knocking on your door. ;)

I've had to break out sunglasses while shoveling before. It was interesting.

After the big snow storm, we had to climb up on top of the roof over the kitchen and clear it off. That was fun. Hopping off of your roof, and landing into thigh- deep snow was fun.

Mike .. when you guys stopped by last time and commented my driveway was a skating rink .... it's got nothing on what's there now! (feel free to drive by and see!) My poor neighbor spins the tires each time he tries to get in the space between the Legacy and the SVT, I fear each time he is going to hit a car.

I got a postcard in my mailbox yesterday politely asking to keep the walkways clear. lol ... I dropped it off in my landlord's box.

I've always wondered about that "booze included" thing. How much booze? I'd reckon that many vacationers could really put 'em away. Do they have a stated limit, or is it like a buffet, where you get what you can drink?

You can literally drink yourself to death. It truly is all you can eat/drink.

When we stayed in Punta Cana, there was a little hut not far from the beach that had a counter with a soda fountain (like the serve yourself type at McDonalds), a beer tap (Presidente) and a giant refrigerator full of bottled water. No attendant - completely serve yourself. And they refilled whatever needed refilling.
There was also a bar not too far away for getting any mixed drink made, and more beer.
You could stand right at the bar and drink yourself into a stupor, they don't care.

wanna leave the wives at home and go after the girls in the pics :laugh:

Got the 7 year itch a little early?

Oh, and you can order "girls" at the front desk if you wish to do so. That's one of the few things that's not all inclusive though.

Got the 7 year itch a little early?

Oh, and you can order "girls" at the front desk if you wish to do so. That's one of the few things that's not all inclusive though.

:crazy: Nope. Shakira is the only girl out there that I would go after (and get shot down so freakin' fast by)..and no look alikes...has to be the real thing. And the wife knows it. :laugh: I don't go after women like that. Nice to look at sometimes, but nothing I would do to hurt the wife.....homie don't play that.

Back