• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My CD Player was stolen

Contourgirl

New CEG'er
My Tour was broken into Friday night. They decided to break my drivers side window, they took the bezel (not sure if that is what is is exactly called, it holds the dash dimmer switch) they took my CD Player and the connectors for it. And they also took the mounting bracket.
I replaced the window already ($67 from a junkyard). And I bought a new CD Player. Now I am having problems mounting it.
It works and everything, but I can't mount it. Does this sound right?
It fits in the hole, but doesn't connect to anything. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Does anyone know the Ford part # for it?

Thanks for any help. Theft can be a pain.

You dont need a mounting kit for our cars, just take the mounting sleeve off of the radio put it in the opening and bend out the mounting tabs to lock it into place. Wire up the radio and slide it in and you'll hear it lock securely into place.

That makes sense. The sleeve that it fits into, I will have to look at it more closely I guess. I was thinking the mounting tabs would fit the 2 screw holes on the outside, but it must be on the inside? I will investigate further. Thank you for your quick reply. You just save me some gas money and time to find parts I don't need! :)
On the new deck, I didn't see tabs that stick out. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the keys they came with. Those are used to take the sleeve off (yep, I understand this). But tabs, I am not so sure about those. I would think the tabs would stick out or something. (So I could bend them into place, to screw them in. Make sense?

Ok, picture this (I don't have my camera here at work), where you insert the sleeve. There is a hole where there used to be that mounting bracket (or sleeve). Are you sure there isn't supposed to be a mounting bracket (a silver bracket/box) that the sleeve attaches to? There aren't any tabs on the sleeve.
I am confused I guess. I would only make sense that there is that silver box that the sleeve attaches to, that holds the cd player, so it isn't bouncing around in that big square hole.

look at this picture, sorry im at work so google search is the best I can do.
install-plate.jpg
You see the "v" shaped tabs on the mounting sleve? you will push those outward and they will hold the sleve against the outside of the opening.

Different car

Different car

My Tour is not set up like that. The very bottom, is the ash tray (and the lighter is right next to it. Then, above that is a black square hole (open storage compartment), then there is a big gaping square hole. It is under the heating/ac controls. It is above the pic that you posted. I guess my car has the premium sound system (not sure if that matters, but the plug connectors are the same as in these pics). So, if you look above the hole, that's where mine is. This pic. is definately different then mine. Or maybe just the ash tray is different. But the mounting bracket that I have, is looks like the one in the pic, and does not fit in the hole, it is missing something.
Am I making sense?
http://www.tss-radio.com/contour-19951999-p-3206.html
Here's a link of what my Tour looks like on the inside.

Last edited:
When you try to put the sleeve in the hole, make sure there is nothing preventing (pushed down tabs or rough edges) the sleeve from sliding in all the way.

If I recall correctly, I had to file all 4 inner corners of the hole so sleeve would fit in.

EDIT: this is what I mean.

Last edited:
Ok, I got it figured out. I went to Best Buy (a different one) and the dude working in the installation had me pull my car up and he showed me how it fits into the bezel. It's to darn easy.
Thanks for the help guys!

For posterity, was the solution from the installation tech the same as was being outlined on here via the pictures?

Thanks 99SEsport2K4 and CarpePoon!

Thanks 99SEsport2K4 and CarpePoon!

Yes, it was pretty much the same, but I have a different bezel, that is where I was confused.
My computer here at work, sucks. So I was unable to post a pic of my bezel, (I posted a link in my above post to show which one I have in my car).
To clear things up. What I was trying to do:

I was trying to install the sleeve into the hole, BEFORE installing the bezel (the outside part). The sleeve IS installed into the bezel. That is what confused me. I usually can figure these things out pretty well, so I feel like an idiot. All of that for something so simple. That's the way it goes right? :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have specified, the picture I posted I think was of an Explorer. I just posted the picture to show how the mounting sleeve mounts into the ford radio opening. Sorry, the sleeve and the hole were supposed to be the only focus points of the photo.

Back