• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre98 to SVT Cluster Swap

With the resistor info too? but then that is fairly simple after the hard part of figuring out which one needs to be there.
ok the resistor that was used seems to ohm out at 105K ohms. heres the best pics i could get.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Wow thanks striker! I might just end up doing this now. Seems to be a REALLY easy mod. Before it used to be so difficult. Stupid Zetec :laugh:. That post needs to be stickied/added to Zetec Performance page IMO...

my question is,did you still need to snip one of the circuits on the speedo side like you do on the pre98 v6's?

I've heard, all of the electric speedos are interchangeable 96-00 except for the early 98's. Should be P-N-P.

PS: not all mystiques had tachs either.

my question is,did you still need to snip one of the circuits on the speedo side like you do on the pre98 v6's?

For the speedometer i actually just moved the face from the one with a tach to my old one so that i could keep the original odometer. to do that you pop off the needle, unscrew the face plate, screw the new face plate onto your old speedo/odometer cluster, plug everything in and go for a drive with either a GPS or stopwatch, pen, paper, and calculator. set the cruise and then either look at the GPS and stick the needle on or time a couple miles and then calculate your speed and stick the needle on. i got mine within about 2MPH.

OK, slight problem.

0220081308.jpg

This circuit board isn't the same. The connection on the upper right looks the same. Should I just follow that line down and solder onto the next node as you did on the SVT? That's what I'm thinking I should do but I'm not sure....

the one i did was not from an SVT but a regular V6, and i think it was even from a pre98 since my dad got it from a JY.

Dang, so should I follow that line down and solder at the next big node? The next big node is the back of w/e the heck that blue circular thing is haha. I suck at circuit boards :D

Dang, so should I follow that line down and solder at the next big node? The next big node is the back of w/e the heck that blue circular thing is haha. I suck at circuit boards :D
it looks like mine went to one side of the little blue dial. so thats what i would do.

edit: dont forget to cut that line so power must flow through the resistor.

it looks like mine went to one side of the little blue dial. so thats what i would do.

edit: dont forget to cut that line so power must flow through the resistor.

Yes I know to cut it. I'm kinda smart sometimes :laugh:. I'll let you know of my results. I picked up resistors today and will solder when I get bored. I have lots of HW to do in the meantime!

All right here's an update:

Soldered in the resistor (I forgot to take a pic because I'm stupid), which was a 100k ohm w/ 10% tolerance. Idled the car and placed the needle on 750 rpms. I revved the car while in park, fuel cut off at about 3250. Drove the car and put the pedal to the floor until the ATX forced a shift from first to second at 6250 rpms. According to Hector, his ATX shifted on its own at 6200 rpms so I think that resistor works pretty darn well :cool:.

Thanks striker!

BTW I think that should be placed under Zetec Performance sticky...Zetec tachometers aren't that common so we can use Duratec ones instead :laugh:

Back