• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre98 to SVT Cluster Swap

KennyT772

Veteran CEG'er
Is it possible? I have always been fond of white gauges and seeing some clusters for sale have prompted my thoughts.

It's tricky with a Zetec. You need to swap the Zetec tach into the SVT cluster. Other than that I'm pretty sure everything else works, from what I've read/heard.

It's tricky with a Zetec. You need to swap the Zetec tach into the SVT cluster. Other than that I'm pretty sure everything else works, from what I've read/heard.

why? the only difference in the tach is that the red line is different ...

No I'm pretty sure it reads incorrectly...I've been doing research on it because I was thinking about putting a tach in my car.

maybe for a pre98 but that I am not sure of. Hector put a SVT cluster in his 2k zetec a long time ago and I never remember hearing about the tach not working correctly ... other then on the zetec you might need to run the tach wire if it isn't already there.

maybe for a pre98 but that I am not sure of. Hector put a SVT cluster in his 2k zetec a long time ago and I never remember hearing about the tach not working correctly ... other then on the zetec you might need to run the tach wire if it isn't already there.

According to devanmc it doesn't read properly. He put a Zetec tach in his SVT cluster for his 98.5+ Zetec.

According to devanmc it doesn't read properly. He put a Zetec tach in his SVT cluster for his 98.5+ Zetec.
i put a v6 (non-SVT) tach in my 97 a long time ago. it worked, but it wasnt accurate. IIRC it said i was idleing at around 1500RPMs :blackeye: my dad then took the tach and figured out what resistor needed to be added and where to make it read properly.

EE's are awsome :D

i put a v6 (non-SVT) tach in my 97 a long time ago. it worked, but it wasnt accurate. IIRC it said i was idleing at around 1500RPMs :blackeye: my dad then took the tach and figured out what resistor needed to be added and where to make it read properly.

EE's are awsome :D

Oooo really? I wish I knew of this earlier. I can get my hands on a V6 cluster in a matter of minutes, so this would be a good option. Any idea where that resistor went? I figure doing this is MUCH easier than trying to find/pay for a Zetec tach :p

Oooo really? I wish I knew of this earlier. I can get my hands on a V6 cluster in a matter of minutes, so this would be a good option. Any idea where that resistor went? I figure doing this is MUCH easier than trying to find/pay for a Zetec tach :p
ill check to see if i still have that cluster tonight. i eventually swapped out to a zetec tach so it didnt say v6 on the tach. IIRC all mystiques came with tachs so just find one with a zetec.

Ian, there is almost always a Pre-98 Mystique in the junkyard near my house. If you ever want to take a drive down, we can check it out.

Bob already has a V6 cluster. Besides, I'm not doing it in the very near future anyways. I'll probably do it around spring break. Plus I'm doing a full LED conversion for the car and I figure I'd fiddle with the cluster. I was going to see if I could fiddle with the V6 thing on the cluster and maybe put something cooler there :cool:

I'll let you know if I would want you guys to pick something up, though.

Way to be a jerk :laugh:. I was going to see if I could somehow stencil in "Zetec" on it or something :p. I need to take it apart first, though!

well I know people have made the SVT of maybe even the V6 light up by scrapping the backing off the guage face. if you do that with one from a zetec you would have all the space that you need ...

if only it were. my dad had to actually "cut" one of the lines on the PCB and then solder in a resistor. i should be able to get a picture up tomorrow.

Back