• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

issues

mgrichmond

Be Gentle I'm New Here
'96 2.0 zetec atx

the other day it started running really rough in P,N, or D when idling
had to drive it with 2 feet to get it home
car stalled trying to get into my brothers garage and wouldnt restart
finally got it in there
it's not throwing any codes other than the 0102(?) that was stored from before (had maf cleaned)
it appears to be getting spark and fuel(gonna check later to make sure of right pressure)
replaced plugs, wires, and coil and then the fuel filter also(all of which needed changed anyhow)
pulled the IAC and tried cleaning it and still have nothing
it just cranks and cranks and tries starting but sputters
is there a way to test the IAC before i just go out and buy a new one?
can't really afford to just keep putting parts on and hoping
so does anyone have any other ideas to check out?

Make sure you're MAF connector is plugged in all the way, and that the harness isn't crooked and making a bad contact.

do a compression test and let us know what numbers you get. when you do it make sure you have it at WOT. i dont think its the MAF since the PCM doesnt look at it for starting.

ford does have a service bulletin pertaining to which you describe. it does call for replacement of the idle air contorl valve and the pcm to make sure the calibrations match. it does not detail a test of the iac valve just that the iac valve sticks and there is insufficient flow through the intake manifold and will not allow the engine to start. the reason they call for replacment of the pcm with the iac is so the calibration codes match otherwise there could be a driveability issue if not replaced in a set. i am sure they are not replaced by most in unison, i know i didn't! lol have had no issues either. i do agree replacing the iac is a lot of work to do without testing first. anyone else have any ideas?

upon some further inspection, it looks like it might have slipped out of time
the belt appears to be just loose enough for it to skip a bit

Back