• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Movin' to Boise

Derk-xB

CEG'er
Back in Nov. I got a phone call from my friend (and classmate from PA school) sayin' that Idaho Urologic Institute was lookin' for another PA.

Ashley has been working 3 jobs (concurrently) for the past year, and it's been hard on her. School system is fun for her, but pay is pathetic, nursing homes aren't really "rehab" here in the gorge, and the hospital work was really sporadic.

My job hasn't been too bad, but I could foresee some points of contention in the future if things didn't change.

Anyway, we decided to look into Boise, and liked what we saw. I'll be starting in March, and Ashley just moved out there this weekend. She's staying with our friends for a few weeks, and the house we're buying (our first!) should be built by the time I get to Boise.

Pretty exciting times for us. We're sad to leave Oregon, but this was one of those opportunities we couldn't let pass by.

Boise is a nice city. Cost of living isn't bad, schools are good and the backdrops are amazing! I lived in Idaho on and off growing up. I'd go back.

Hell, you might see me out there this year!

Get ready for an engine block heater with the plug coming out of your grill. But again you'd be really close to some ski areas to the north, some good river/stream fishing, other good outdoor activities in the summer too, a good community for raising a family if that is in your near future. And a higher interstate speed limit there too for leadfooted drivers.

Congrats Derek! I wish nothing but the best for both of you. I'm so glad that I had a chance to meet you & your wife................because now I won't feel guilty saying that this doesn't mean that you can get out of meeting up with us again:laugh: . If anything this might just give us another reason to have a meet in/near Idaho. Good luck & keep us posted on your progress.

-Aaron

We're pretty excited for the change. Hood River is nice, no doubt, but it's been hard to afford buying a house. It turns out that was a good thing for us...I'd hate to be selling a house right now!
On that note, however, we are buying a house. No, not a cabin in McCall :shrug: but a little townhome near downtown. It's walking distance from Ashley's work, and about 8 miles from mine. But, my buddy that I'll be working with lives on the way, so we'll be carpooling.
I've already tried scoping out the VW/Audi scene in Idaho. It's nothing like the PDX scene, but it'll do. :) I'm excited to get my summer wheels/tires back on (and hopefully a new, slightly beefier rear swaybar :laugh: ) to explore some of those back roads. I might get the APR reflash before I leave Oregon (mmm....20 hp and 30 tq ... gotta love turbo chargers :laugh: ).
We'll keep in touch, for sure. Technically, Idaho is still considered NW on these forums. :)

Glad to hear that things are working out well for you two.:laugh:

Sorry that your leaving it was very nice to spend the day with you last year, and we who were there to see it first hand won't soon forget your innovative puffed corn in the trunk mod.:cool:

But perhaps we'll meet up again, and now I know someone in Boise :laugh:

Where the heck is Boise anyway??????.....LOL :shrug:

AF

LOL...now I'm a stopping point on all of your road trips, aren't I? "Oh we'll just stay the night at uncle Derek's" :laugh:

Conrgats on the move and house Derek. Before long, you're going to make a complete circle around the US. :crazy:

No kidding, Mike. I'm ready to plant some roots!
And to think, at one point I thought about going into the military to be a PA for them (they get to do some COOL stuff)...talk about frequent moves!

Well, I'm in Idaho. Not quite settled in yet, but we're here. We may close on the house today, but it's looking more like Monday instead. They have to finish building a fence for us.

It's pretty nice up here. I must admit that the high desert terrain feels pretty comfortable to me. I've had this week off, so I've been on some great bike rides already.

I start the new job on Monday. I'm pretty excited!

Be sure to let Uncle Derek know when you're driving through. :laugh:

Back