• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need some help

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Just got back from the dealer for an oil change (yes I could do it myself but didn't want to). I had them investigate a noise I've been hearing in the front end, figured it was either a wheel bearing or axle. Turns out both of my front wheel bearings need to be replaced and they quoted $730.

I know I can do it a lot cheaper, however, I have never done this kind of repair. Would there be someone, preferably in the Chicago area that could help me with this repair? Also, what can I expect to spend to make this repair myself, both in parts and time?

Oh, I would also appreciate help replacing the speed control pressure switch in our Windstar (should be easy), have the part, just need help with bleeding the system...

Last edited:
When I bought my SVT one of the front wheel bearings was bad. It had to be pressed out and the new one pressed in, which is not easy to do on your own...I just took it to the dealership.

Where in Chicago are you looking? My dad is mechanic and I know he can do it for you for way cheap than the dealership for both your csvt and the windstar.

Aurora, could you get me a quote? I think I can handle the Windstar repairs, it's just unbolting the current sensor from the master cylinder, just having an assistant with bleeding the lines.. The CSVT is the most non DIY important repair at the moment.

Aurora is not near Chicago, but I'll ask him for a quote. And he doesn't like help, so either he does it all himself or you are better off going somewhere else.

Don't worry about then.. Besides I said the Chicago area, not necessarily in Chicago. I wasn't stating I was going to help him, I was saying I would need help bleeding the brake system on our Windstar as I believe I can make that repair myself.

I took my SVT in to get an alignment done at Belletire earlier this week, and interestingly enough, both of my front wheel bearings (Amongst other things) are fubar. I could tell that the front-right side was not good anyhow, as the vibration and lack of grease in the bearing made it clear that their was an issue.

I was quoted about $700 as well, however, this included both front wheel bearings, left control arm (The outer-tie-rod, ball-joint, and bushings are worn badly), four-wheel alignment, taxes and labor.

So I did some shopping around.

$50 Wheel bearings ($25 each at Autozone)
$82 left control arm (Includes shipping, bushings and ball joint, eBay)
$25 Outter tie-rod (Autozone)
$40 pizza money bribe to a mechanic at Sears for pressing bearings in and out.
$65 four-wheel alignment (2 years of adjustment, so free alignment after I put new struts and mounts on later - woot?)
-----------
$262 : Total

Granted, the most difficult part for an average person at home is to have a proper hook-up for pressing bearings in and out. I have a guy who works at sears who will work for cash-in-hand beer money when the shop is slow. :) You can expect to pay ~$40 per bearing at a machine shop though. Which is a little bit of money, but that's the average rate.

I'm a mechanic, so doing all of the work my self is no problem - I just don't own an alignment rack nor do I have the skill of the old-timers and their damned telescoping broom-handle shenanigans; nor do I own a proper press to safely remove and reinstall bearings. I have a vice and sledge hammer.. but, that just doesn't have the same finesse! :p

---------

So my point here, is that the quoted price that you were given is exorbitant. A fair shop price for two wheel bearings should never exceed $350 IMHO.

- You need to factor in the bearings them selves ($50 for both at autozone for us, stealership will probably double that)
- About one hour of labor (With impact tools, each side is 15 minutes of actual work, but they will round to to an hour but that's fair IMHO). If they estimate more than an hour, then there is an issue to be addressed. If they demand one hour of labor Per side, then that's a good place to avoid giving your money to. Stealerships will charge as much as $100 per hour for labor, while a mom-and-pop will charge as little as $55.
- Factor in the cost of machine work (pressing), which most shops don't have the equipment in-house to do; sears is one of the exceptions to this rule for retail-chain garages.
- Factor in employee time for dropping off and picking up the bearings at the shop.

----

One last tip, ask the places that you getting quotes from if you can just give them the new bearings, so you are looking for a labor-only quote. This should save you a bit of $$ up-front. If they are :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty with you about that, then it's an early-warning sign of a place which could potentially take you for a ride. If they are cool about it, then that attitude should be reflected in the quality of work that they do, rather than the quantity. As I mentioned, sears has all the equipment in house to do this, so call them up for a quote. No, I don't work there, I just know that it's a large-enough-chain to cover your area. I've found this chain to always be reasonable, accountable and responsible as well. Those are difficult things to find in a garage IMHO.

Last edited:
I found a local shop through a friend that will do it for 365, both sides.. Dropping the car off tonight, will be ready tomorrow night.

Back