• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ground wire kit

99csvtraw

New CEG'er
has anyone ever installed one? can you do it yourself ?
my friend just told me about it and im thinkin of getting on.
i just cant find where to purchase one.
.. or if its even worth purchasing. :confused:

are you talking about the ground wire kits you can get on ebay that claim they increase power?

not worth it, just make sure all of your grounds are clean and that your electrical system is up to snuff and you will be fine.

i wouldnt say its not worth it. it depends on the car and its factory grounding system,or condition of its system. i wouldn't buy a premade one you can make it your self for less. but since noone here has taken the time install one,and find the proper place's to install one and than dyno...i dont think anyone can really say its pointless:shrug:
you can't just slap them anywere's and expect changes,there's certain place's that they go.

do yah think that if you did it yourself you can copy the same set up as another car. like where they put the wires just do the same.

I think removing and cleaning your current (parton the pun) ground wires one by one would be just as good or better.

Mike

That's a lot of money. You could make a lot of ground jumpers yourself for that much.

I'm an electrical engineer.

There's some creadance in assuring a uniform/effective ground throughout the electrical system of a car, and it's not rocket science. The high current loads that could cause a ground to creep away from ideal are the lights, the ignition, the starter motor, the fan motor, the heater motor, etc. When several of these loads share the same pathway, their contributed effect could reduce the voltage to the loads.

The approach of creating a "ground central" distribution block near the battery is a sound one. Then stout wires from there to the engine block for ingy, and sensors... to the body up near the headlights... to the cabin (dash) area for many apps... etc.

These measures might be argued, since pretty wise guys designed the car, but personal experience has taught me that they always watch their pennies. This means it's not "super over engineered". I've solved radiator rot, fender rot, flicker lights, and a host of gremlin-like dash problems just by correcting the aging affects of factory wiring when it comes to grounds.

I typically change my black battery cable out for one made of welding wire (many fine elements make better flow and maintain flexibility), and use a marine type battery post clamp. At that clamp, I make additional wires for body and engine. That takes care of it.

Gar

A friend of mine did a groud wire kit for his svtf and after it was done it was worse, the car started having electrical problems and all, and the kit was installed right, he is an electrician. He then had to rip it out and get a whole new wiring harness and that wasnt cheap.

I just find it funny how people could think a ground wire kit can increase HORSEPOWER. What a joke! Do we have electric motors in our cars or something? It's one think to create a parallel ground connection to supplement a corroded one that's causing problems, it's another to somehow associate engine output with extra ground wires. Ha, whatever, stupid kids will always find something to waste their money on.

Back