• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SE manual trans same as SVT one?

Torquemonster

CEG'er
Looks like my SVT might need a new tranny (or used), the only thing we've sourced out is a non SVT 5 speed contour tranny from a V6 car. Will that bolt up fine? Also is this the same tranny as the 4 cylinder zetec contours? Just incase the used tranny sourced out was not from a V6 model but is a 5 speed...will that fit and work?

Much thanks.

The V6 MTX-75 is the same for all SVT's and non-SVT's. The only change was the flywheel and clutch.

The L4 MTX-75 will not bolt up.

Yes, but a lot of work. I don't even know how since the rod goes through the lower portion of the case. I guess with enough modification. Insane to put a used trans in since you don't know the state of the internals. The stock diffs usually look pretty bad at 80k. You need to send your stock trans and have it rebuilt by Terry or Liberty in Detroit. Take your pick.

Yes, but a lot of work. I don't even know how since the rod goes through the lower portion of the case. I guess with enough modification. Insane to put a used trans in since you don't know the state of the internals. The stock diffs usually look pretty bad at 80k. You need to send your stock trans and have it rebuilt by Terry or Liberty in Detroit. Take your pick.

My third gear is grinding in my SVT. Should I buy a new tranny, get a used one, or get it rebuilt? I mean obviously a Terry-built tranny is the most desired option, but that's like $2,000+, isn't it? I mean after you take into account the cost of the removal and shipping of the tranny and all the parts and labor?

How much is a new one? A used one? Keeping a budget in mind, what should I do? :shrug:

My third gear is grinding in my SVT. Should I buy a new tranny, get a used one, or get it rebuilt? I mean obviously a Terry-built tranny is the most desired option, but that's like $2,000+, isn't it? I mean after you take into account the cost of the removal and shipping of the tranny and all the parts and labor?

How much is a new one? A used one? Keeping a budget in mind, what should I do? :shrug:

Used one from a junk yard with low mileage.

Used one from a junk yard with low mileage.

Yea and ask CEGers how that has worked out for some of them.:rolleyes: Go ahead and take a gamble. You'll end up spending double with all having to pull the trans again in 20,000 miles or what have you. Someday people will learn. It usually takes a large hit to the pocket book to come around and listen.

FWIW...*most all of my MTX's come in under $2,000*a Quaife doesn't need to be 'notched' to fit it...just have the bearing shimming adjusted correctly as ANY diff,Quaife,Torsen or stoc SHOULD be set up and built correctly...
Too much bad info about the MTX75...Also,for those who go to the 'other' site..From Feb to end of March we offer no return shipping costs to MTX's sent to us during that period(mainland USA only)...It gets old with the same old misinformation!!!Regards,TH

Yea and ask CEGers how that has worked out for some of them.:rolleyes: Go ahead and take a gamble. You'll end up spending double with all having to pull the trans again in 20,000 miles or what have you. Someday people will learn. It usually takes a large hit to the pocket book to come around and listen.

Yes it's a gamble, some have had bad experience going that route. But most do not.

He noted budget is important. From a pull it yourself yard, you can pick one up for $100 bucks. Yes it's a gamble

Yes it's a gamble, some have had bad experience going that route. But most do not.

He noted budget is important. From a pull it yourself yard, you can pick one up for $100 bucks. Yes it's a gamble

Not to mention if you find a tranny with low-ish miles from an SE you can probably make a bet that it wasn't beat on as much as an SVT tranny :shrug:

when you say 3rd gear grind, do you mean when going from 2nd to 3rd it grinds? My SVT grinds going into 2nd, but not if I start from 2nd, and it only grinds 2nd until I drive the car a bit, but going into 4th from 3rd is a bit notchy all the time.

Is it bad to start out in 2nd until the cars trans. fluid warms up? that way it won't be grinding.

thanks,
Adam

I have one available with 90k on it. Has the third gear grind but most will have it.

...Doesn't that mean the tranny is on its way to the grave and desperately need rebuildig...?

And, is it true that it's a bad idea to put Redline MTL synthetic transmission fluid into your tranny if third gear is grinding..? I have 3 bottles of the stuff and I'm wondering if I should replace my sludgy old tranny fluid, it has 100k+ miles on it and shifting feels a little boggy.

DON'T USE THE REDLINE MTL IN THAT TRANS.

I think the name of the thread is "Watch Out". It is one of the longest threads here on CEG. It's probably in the old forums. Redline MTL slugged up, clogging the lube channels for the spyder gears, allowing extreme wear on the shafts and leading to trans failure.

DON'T USE THE REDLINE MTL IN THAT TRANS.

I think the name of the thread is "Watch Out". It is one of the longest threads here on CEG. It's probably in the old forums. Redline MTL slugged up, clogging the lube channels for the spyder gears, allowing extreme wear on the shafts and leading to trans failure.

Crap. There's about $70 or so down the drain. What kind of tranny fluid would you reccommend?

Torco also makes an excellent fluid for this use. Currently I have Ford Honey in my trans with 2 ounces of Ford friction modifier added. The Chrysler spec ATF+3 and ATF+4 also work very well. Think of them as a cleaner Mercon with a higher level of friction modifier.

Back