• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0302, P0303, P0304, P0306 :(

morbid

Hard-core CEG'er
So... I was driving late at night when I noticed the road was mildly flooded. Someone was on my ass enough that I couldn't slow down, and someone was coming the other direction at the same time. So I ran through the small pond, which was only on the right side of the lane. When I did, it seemed like my car was going to die for about 1/2 a second (lights dimmed, lost power). After that, my car ran fine. The next day, I got a P0306 code and cleared it. Day after that, I got the P0306 and P0303, and cleared them. Since my car still drives fine, I'm assuming that it's not actually a misfire. After searching all 3 forums (and pretty much ruling out the coil pack, wires, and plugs), I found a troubleshooting thread for sporadic P030? codes. I checked the crank pulley and it doesn't appear to be wobbly. I also reset the ecu (as per that thread, to relearn a bumped pulse wheel). But since then, I keep getting random codes (listed in the topic), but the car still appears to be running fine. Is it possible that it's the alternator? Or another sensor... like the cam or crank position sensors? I'm at a loss as to what to check next.

Oh, and there were 3 CSVT's and a Cougar behind me... all hit the water at the same speed, but I'm the only one that has experienced any problems since then. I suppose it's also possible that the water had nothing to do with these codes.

Maybe try a bit of dielectric grease at the plug wire connections. Possible a bit of water got splashed up to coil pack? Its an easy fix if that works. Might also double check the Cam position sensor.

k... so I replaced the cam and crank sensors. But, unfortunately, the cels came back. If water was splashed up to the coil pack or spark plugs, wouldn't that have dried up by now -- no more problems? Would a slight wobble of the crank pulley cause this problem? I thought I read that it may... but I watched the dmd and it looked good Might have a slight wobble that I can't see though.

Anyone have any more suggestions? Thanks!

just for giggles maybe i would remove the the air intake hose from the throttle body and filter assembly off, and see if there is water in the ribs? Other than that, maybe take the spark plugs out and check them out.....

But if you say you went thru a puddle, Id be careful on the removing the spark plugs thing, because if water is sitting deep in the valley of the spark plugs in/on the valve cover it may be a no-no to remove plugs just quite yet.....but you would think by now the moisture would have dissapated due to the heat of the engine?

Maybe change the oil.

Last edited:
Plugs

Plugs

just for giggles maybe i would remove the the air intake hose from the throttle body and filter assembly off, and see if there is water in the ribs? Other than that, maybe take the spark plugs out and check them out.....

But if you say you went thru a puddle, Id be careful on the removing the spark plugs thing, because if water is sitting deep in the valley of the spark plugs in/on the valve cover it may be a no-no to remove plugs just quite yet.....but you would think by now the moisture would have dissapated due to the heat of the engine?

Maybe change the oil.

I agree with Tony, check your coil. You could have water in the coil boots and plug boots. There are sprays / cleaners that will dry out any moisture on the coil, boots and plugs. If you are going to remove the plugs, spray compressed air into the plug wells prior to removing the plug. This should remove most of the water and any other contaminates. Take care to protect your eyes when using compressed air. Good Luck Dan

The water was only on the passenger side of the car, so I doubt any got over to the drivers side. Even then, my intake heatshield is sealed to the hood.

There is an updated pcm calibration for the mil on and missfire dtc's. Tsb 99-12-1
Interesting... but appears to only be for the 1998.

I'll check that. Would suck if that's it, as I have less than 12,000 miles on the current one.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

There is an updated pcm calibration for the mil on and missfire dtc's. Tsb 99-12-1

the TSB section is down or not working apparently, but could you tell me what the TSB is for that? Is that a free fix from ford or has it expired by now. I have a 98 and constantly experiance that problem.

the TSB section is down or not working apparently, but could you tell me what the TSB is for that? Is that a free fix from ford or has it expired by now. I have a 98 and constantly experiance that problem.

Its just an updated pcm calibration which means you gotta take it to the dealer and haev them use there scanner. I'll pm you the tsb info.

Back