• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car shuts off !!! help !

svtcontour666

CEG'er
ok so im pretty sure im posting this in the right place.
well here goes i recently posted some threads about my coolant tank leaking replaced that then my car was still over heating so i replaced the water pump and now it is still doing the same thing heres what happens!
start the car,turn the heater on blows cold until the car warms up.
if i drive it around for a while then the coolant starts to leak out of the coolant tank from the cap.
now what i can`t figure out is why it`s doing this .
my guess is it has got to be a stuck shut thermostat or a head gasket but it`s not showing signs of a blown head gasket!
if any one has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated .
if i drive the car about 12 miles the heater for all practical purposes might as well have flames comin out of it it burns so hot!
and then the oil light will flicker and the car will shut off !
then it won`t start till it cools down!:help::help::help::help::help:

oil lights are never a good sign. sounds like the coolant system is plugged up and the coolant pressure is being releaved through the overflow tank cap ....

Sounds MUCH worse than just a thermostat problem. It's something mechanical because as you said your heat is blowing out deathly hot air. Might want to flush that coolant system at the least, but definitely get it checked out at a reputable repair shop.

So, it seems that the leaking overflow tank was always leaking from the cap. This question was asked in that other thread. Which means this problem has been going on for a least a month, which is not unlike another poster who drove his car too long before frying his engine. The easiest thing to do is replace the thermostat which you could (should) have done when you replaced the water pump. I'm not so concerned with the level of heat that you are getting from the heater. That is adjustable at the HVAC panel. Nor the flashing oil light. At least, not yet. That can happen from very low rpms before the engine quits. However, make sure you've got oil to the full mark on the dip stick.

So, replace the thermostat, fire the engine up and see if coolant still spews from the coolant tank cap. If it still does, then we'll have to go to the next step, whatever that may be. I wouldn't drive the car anywhere. Just warm it up at home. If the oil light still flickers, even when the engine is running normally, you've got bigger problems.
Karl

By running the car hot, you warped the cylinder head, therby blowing the head gasket. Water escaping the tank is being pressurized due to combustion gases in the cooling passages.

lol

lol

dude the head gasket is not blown i have been telling all of you that it`s not the head gasket trust me i had it pressure tested !!!!

havn`t driven the car in almost a month

havn`t driven the car in almost a month

i may be younge but im not stupid i have blown plenty of motors to know not to drive this one till it`s fixed!

Could you describe the pressure test that was done on the engine? Was it a leak down test or a compression test? One of the heads could be cracked between the combustion chamber and a water passage and that likely won't show up on a compression test.
Karl

Has a restriction in the cooling system been eliminated? I know you replaced the thermostat and water pump but do you know that coolant is flowing throughout the whole system? I would check to see if all the hoses were getting hot. Something of this magnitude is bound to be on the simple side like maybe a clogged radiator or heater core. That's assuming all other tests were performed satisfactorily. I'm out of ideas if everything so far checks out.
Karl

Back