• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installation meet

That's very smart.

I have some empty boxes so I can tear them off and lay them on ground. It may help.

Also, when we built the house up I paid extra to have it insulated all around except the door. Even the door has some insulation insert so my garage is much better weather controlled than my neighbors.

Hey Mike, will you go to any junk yard any time soon? (probably not, given the crappy weather) As I mentioned earlier, the trunk remote release from the fob suddenly ceased to work. I can hear the noise near the passenger fusebox when I press the blue button but it simply won't open. I can only either use the key from outside, or use the lever by the driver's side. Do you think it's the actuator? Also, do you know where I can buy a blower motor for the vent? It's working fine but noisy (not just wind noise).

Along the stuffs I ordered from car shop inc, I was talked into buying the battery relocation kit :shrug: but I will wait for later after I resolve the wet trunk problem.

Extra pair of underwears FTW! :laugh:

Last edited:
it probobably just needs to be cleaned out. More than likely there are some leaves.

yeah, I could look for that actuator for you.

Glad you said Sunday, that works great for me. Also very happy to know that the manifolds have only been on the 3L for a year with a bunch of extra goop to keep them from seizing. I'll be bringing tools as well long underwear and a heater or two (I'm skinny so I have nothing to keep me warm). ;)

Pm me with address and stuff.

As far as I know, everything is now good to go.

There were a few trips to the parts store, Lowes, my place and the junkyard this morning.

The new alt and battery seem to be getting along and the greasy hand prints burned off the new headers nicely today. The compression gasket after the y-pipe broke on me last night when it fell off. I though I had one at home, which I did not. So this morning we went to the junkyard in hopes of finding on. I'd admitted defeat and we were heading to the dealership when Rick spotted the last car that I'd missed on the way in. Underneath, all shiny and ripe for the picking, was the exact part we needed to finish everything. Good eye Rick.

I'll get the pics off my camera later and post 'em up.

Oh yeah, I also learned lots about dinosaurs today too from Rick's 7 year old. Good times. :laugh:

I had a wonderful weekend when Mike and Robert came and help.

I had to admit that I 'lied'. No beer was served. We did have a lot of pizza and Krispy Kream left over. :laugh:

The headers are on and did what it was supposed to do -- rasp like hell when starting. :laugh: The throttle response is teriffic. For the alternator, I am still a little bit worried because so far we haven't seen it charges the battery. The voltage has been steady around 11.6 V when the car was running, pretty much like before. I will wait for Mike's feedback when he takes the swapped OEM ALT to Auto Zone and have them check it out. If this ALT turns to be faulty, then I will feel more comfortable knowing the newly installed one is good. Otherwise I have to worry about if there is wiring problem.

I enjoyed Mike and Rob's company a lot. You guys are keeping the CAP CEG spirit alive. We need to do another *real* GTG again.

Rob, I still have your jack at my place. Let me know when we can meet up to return that.

Mike, after you left, my daughter had asked me several times when you will be back again. She enjoyed a lot asking dino quiz with you. :laugh:

For the alternator, I am still a little bit worried because so far we haven't seen it charges the battery. The voltage has been steady around 11.6 V when the car was running, pretty much like before. I will wait for Mike's feedback when he takes the swapped OEM ALT to Auto Zone and have them check it out. If this ALT turns to be faulty, then I will feel more comfortable knowing the newly installed one is good. Otherwise I have to worry about if there is wiring problem.

Double check the "Mega" fuse just above the rear bank header...had the same problem once before......

I definately had a good time. Mike ended up doing all the work minus the front header. He works a lot faster than I. It was nice meeting you guys and I second having a real gtg and needing pics. Next install meet though I will make sure to position the car so that we can close the garage door.

So does the car feel better on butt dyno?

For the jack, I'm normally home after 5:30-6:00 so feel free to stop by anytime. I should definately be there, but if I'm not, you can just drop it in the backyard.

Rick,
The Alt was bad, so you should be good to go now.

And now the very few pics that we took. We were about halfway through when I remembered that I had my camera.

DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

DSCF1355.jpg

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

Yeah! Now I am much more comfortable about driving the car knowing the old ALT was bad. As a precaution, I probably will drive it with a spare battery, some tools in my trunk. I am so afraid to be stuck on the road again. :laugh:

As to the headers -- It's pretty nice! The throttle response is faster, which is pleasing my 'butt' at the dyno department. :laugh: I still need to live with the rasping part for sure.

The header coating looks nice still. I may have to add some spray next time when the car is lifted. There are some scratches that show the bare metal. Other than that seems nice. You guys saw me hanging the header with the oven grille. Would you call it neat? :laugh:

Many thanks to the guys!

New sayings from the underneath of Rick's car;

Rick, you're car is on the way

Ram it in

I am McLovin

$hit, #uck, Sonuva$itch, Motherhucker, ouch, and many other Contour inspired cursewords

Hahha, yea that's right. I can't count how many times that happened.

Btw, I know of one scrape you might not be able to get to or see. I believe it is on the center pipe of the front header.
That's right. We found the radiator screw on my car longer than other cars. That really scratched the mid pipe good. Hopefully in 2 years it will not rust rotten at that spot. :)

That's right. We found the radiator screw on my car longer than other cars. That really scratched the mid pipe good. Hopefully in 2 years it will not rust rotten at that spot. :)

If you can see it from above, get a thin paint brush and paint it on that way. :) It will probably rust, if you go mud boggin' like I do.

I scratched my front header getting it past the radiator shroud too, so it's not just you. I tried touching it up and putting it back on, but since I didn't bake after the touch up, I can already see it bubbling there from the teeny space you can see b/t the rad and UIM from above. I really hope that's the only part of them that's bubbled/flaked...

Hey Rick,
I'll try to get a different altenator this week and I have the antenna in the truck so I don't forget about it. I tried messing with the old one from your car and, umm, it's gone on to live in a better place now

Hopefully, I'll have my truck sorted in the next few days. Gotta figure out what's squeaking and burning. :shrug: what a PITA

Sounds like a plan.

When you are in the quest of finding an ALT, do you think you can yank some VSS from somewhere? If not I may be able to order from one of the dealer. Remember last time you put your super duper code reader on my car and it says my car reports 7-8 MPH even though it was completely immobile? That may be the reason for my ABS light to be on.

Guess I will ask if Robert is coming. I have his floor jack as hostage. :laugh: If he ever wants to see his floor jack again in this life time... J/K.

But seriously, we can order some really good yummy Chinese food in. And don't forget we still have the buy one dozen, get one dozen half price coupon from Krispy Kream.. :laugh:

Back