• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installation meet

SVT3391

CEG'er
IMPORTANT -- NEW DATE SUNDAY 2/17

When: Sunday 2/17
Where: My house -- Columbia MD
What: alternator, header install, GTG ...
Who: myself, Boss (Mike), Kauberized (Robert), and whoever interested

I will have plenty of beers, sodas, pizzas. Please feel free to respond this thread so I know how much to prepare.

Please see post 39.

Last edited:
I'd be in. I have some HID's and dome headers to install. I heard this weekend is going to be kinda crappy though. If I can get some help on the headers I'll make the drive. I don't have my y-pipe yet though:(

Sorry guys,
Plans all weekend, have fun. With a wife and kid I need more notice!

-Andy

I'm in for this if it's Saturday, gotta make sure when you park the car friday, jack it up and put it on jack stands, let it cool, then soak the hell out of all the bolts with PB Blaster or some kind of similar thing. Bolts holding the headers to the engine and all the bolts for the y pipe where it connects to the headers and the rest of the exhaust. What I actually did was not drive my car the whole day on friday before and then jacked it up friday evening and soaked it. That made sure that the engine was cool and the PB Blaster didn't get set on fire.

Do you have anti seize? I ran out, but I'm pretty sure I have all the other needed tools for this though.

Saturday sounds like a good day per response here. So, Saturday it is.

I have PB. I will get more tonight when I go home.

The car is not going anywhere this week because of the bad alternator. Do you think the header job will be easier if the alternator is off?

Saturday sounds like a good day per response here. So, Saturday it is.

I have PB. I will get more tonight when I go home.

The car is not going anywhere this week because of the bad alternator. Do you think the header job will be easier if the alternator is off?

It will be easier with it off, though I did mine with it on there. Also I forgot to say, soak the heck out of the egr connector on the header. That one is the most fun. If it's not moving, think you would be able to soak it at least tomorrow night and friday night?

I haven't opened up my box. I will check them out tonight and see what do you refer to.

Thanks and can't wait to meet every body.

Yes, headers will be somewhat easier with the alt off for a couple of the rear bank studs, altho I too did mine just fine with it in place. Also soak the EGR tube where it meets the valve if you haven't loosened that lately or it's never been anti-seized. Lastly, you might want to be prepared for the DPFE hoses to need replacement if they're dried and brittle and need to be cut off the tube. 1/4" ID fuel hose from the parts store works fine. (Yeah I know it's "supposed" to be heat resistant silicon hose or something but I have fuel hose on mine from replacing the DPFE, and no problems.) Wish I could be there to meet some ppl.

SVT3391:

PM sent. check your box.

dad said he might drive down on Installation day and pick it up :) i might go with him.

how long will you all be around on that day?

I hate to be a jackass, but is there anyway this can be moved to Sunday? I now have to work Saturday so I'm out now. If the alternator move cannot be delayed until Sunday I can still do the headers after it's replaced.

I don't think I'll be able to make it unfortunately. Definitely not on Sunday. Man and I've been waiting for a g2g

well, I told Rick that either day this weekend would work for me to install the alt.

And if the weather holds out like this for the rest of the week, sat afternoon or sunday would be great as I could get a bike ride in sat morning. I'm jonesing bad to get on the bike. And need to get ready for the 60 mile charity ride coming up in a few months.

SVT3391:

PM sent. check your box.

dad said he might drive down on Installation day and pick it up :) i might go with him.

how long will you all be around on that day?

Mike,
more than likely we'd be at it all day. Think about it... beer, wrenching, pain in the ass cars to work on, beer, breaks, naps, alt and headers....yeah, we'll be awhile.

SVT3391, did you also happen to get new header gaskets and studs/nuts? You don't necessarily have to get new studs/nuts, but I highly reccomend new gaskets. Sunday I will definately be able to be there so you can change the first post on the times and who's showing ;-)

UPDATE (sorry again)

The install day is moved to Sunday so we can get do these done all at once:
  1. Get the bad alternator off
  2. install headers
  3. put the good alternator back
I'd like to know if we move this to next week, can more people join? I haven't found VHT for coating the headers in the local stores, and I need to get some gaskets and such and such. I wonder I will have a better preparation next weekend.

Please tell me your opinions. I am open for suggestions.

Thanks,
Rick

Back