• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Found an SVT for sale... thinking of trading

bobbo

CEG'er
Hi all. I got bored and drove around this weekend and I found a spotless 99 green/tan SVT for sale at an undisclosed location (in case I want to go for it and somebody here beats me to it). It looks in good shape inside and out and it has 115k... kinda high mileage, so it might have the tar kicked out of it.

I'm thinking of getting it if I can sell my 98 'stique LS if I could get enough for it...

Oh, btw, what's a good price for a 99 SVT in good shape and 115k?

Then again, there is a matching green/tan '94 SHO nearby, too. I'm a Taurus/Vulcan fan, but not sure about the SHO motor...

Ahh, decisions, decisions:)

Bob

SHO taurus motor is nothing like the Vulcan motor, its actually a brother model to the duratec.

However, I would suggest going with an SVT, as cool as the SHO's are, parts are stupidly expensive and hard to find for them, and reliability is on part, if not worse then the SVT contour.

You probably could haggle the dealership down a little bit on the price of the SVT also. I say go for it, 115K miles really isnt that bad either, if the car still runs and drives really nice, then its past the point of most component failures, which is a good sign it will drive for many miles to come :)

Hi all. I got bored and drove around this weekend and I found a spotless 99 green/tan SVT for sale at an undisclosed location (in case I want to go for it and somebody here beats me to it). It looks in good shape inside and out and it has 115k... kinda high mileage, so it might have the tar kicked out of it.

I'm thinking of getting it if I can sell my 98 'stique LS if I could get enough for it...

Oh, btw, what's a good price for a 99 SVT in good shape and 115k?

Then again, there is a matching green/tan '94 SHO nearby, too. I'm a Taurus/Vulcan fan, but not sure about the SHO motor...

Ahh, decisions, decisions:)

Bob

Bob, if the SVT is in great shape, you could go as high as $5K and be alright. The miles arent that high -- especially if its been taken care of. You should get a good sense of this once you go drive it.

As for the SHO -- they're great cars, but the motors are more maintenance intensive than the SVTs. If you buy a SHO, it pays to find one in good condition that's been well cared for. They were serious sporting machines, and need a little extra care. :cool:

The V8 SHO is suratec related, but the V6 in that '94 is a complete Yamaha Design. It's a fantastic motor...very over built. The oil pan is cast aluminum, there is a windage tray for the oil and the main bearings are braced with a crankshaft girdle. This engine is really over built and it is similar to their motorcycle engines.

If it is as clean as you say inside and out, and if I bought SVT's that weren't broken, then I would pay up to $4000 for it. If it is from a dealer, you might be paying more though. :(

SHO taurus motor is nothing like the Vulcan motor, its actually a brother model to the duratec.

However, I would suggest going with an SVT, as cool as the SHO's are, parts are stupidly expensive and hard to find for them, and reliability is on part, if not worse then the SVT contour. :)

SHO-powered Tauri from 1989-1995 sported a Yamaha 3.0 liter (MTX) or 3.2 (ATX -- 1993-1995). They are not Duratecs, and share nothing with the Ford corporate parts bin.

In 1996, Ford redesigned the SHO into a far less interesting offering, and introduced a 3.4 liter V8 comprised of a Ford block and Yamaha heads. You'll note that the displacment to cylinder ratio on both the SVT and this late SHO engine is about the same -- 2.5 to 6 versus 3.4 to 8.

SHO parts are not that expensive or rare anymore -- the aftermarket has helped a great deal. If you're going to buy a SHO, a 1989-1995 5-speed is the way to go. I ran my first one for almost 222,000 miles on the original engine, alternator, and exhaust system, so reliablity isn't an issue if the car is well maintained.

the sho v6 was initially intended to be built off of the vulcan. yamaha deemed it to weak:laugh: .
115k isnt bad at all,many members have 150+ some over 200k miles and going strong.
you'll enjoy either one. personally,i want to get rid of my svtc for another sho:shrug:

SHO-powered Tauri from 1989-1995 sported a Yamaha 3.0 liter (MTX) or 3.2 (ATX -- 1993-1995). They are not Duratecs, and share nothing with the Ford corporate parts bin.

oops, I missed a word in my post, I meant to say "like a brother" as opposed to "a brother"

because they are similar in a few respects, but not the same motors.

oops, I missed a word in my post, I meant to say "like a brother" as opposed to "a brother"

because they are similar in a few respects, but not the same motors.

The overall idea is similar -- four cams, six pots, and dual plenum intake runners are present on both, though the activation of the secondaries on the SHO is vacuum driven, and thus includes no IMRC like the SVT requires.

Ah.h. but if we are going to nitpick, Alias said like the "duratec" and not "like the svt"

the 95 duratec had vacuum secondaries as well. :D

P1010134.jpg

There can be only one....:laugh:

I was like, where is that EGR. Poking its head up just liiiiitle bit in the back. And that is one new looking alt. in there

man thats a work of art:drool:

interesting tid bit about the SHO motor, the intakes could be mounted backwards on the motor, so the intake side could face the other side of the motor, and it still would work, because both sides of the intake manifolds were exactly the same.

I can give you a very pertinent answer to your question, as my SVT was exactly as you describe the one you're looking at...99, 115K, very good condition. What I paid was complicated by getting a TON of valuable extra parts, so $4500 was the bottom line. After selling most of the parts, I've gotten the "actual" cost of the car down to $3400ish. Only thing wrong with it was the precats were bad and it had MILs, and I've since installed headers. As long as it has been aggressively maintained which I knew mine was, 115K isn't too bad. Hope this helps.

*EDIT* Keep in mind though that mine is a "common" silver frost, and I'd expect and be willing to pay more for a rare tropic green in similar shape!

Last edited:
I bought mine over a year ago with ~112,000. It is a 2000 and other than bad brakes and original suspension was in great shape. Paid $4,500. Replaced brakes, suspension, plugs, wires and fluids and have had to do no other work since then.

I think around $4,000 is a good price.

Back