• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch Slip? Transmission? HELP!

FauxhawkFox

Hard-core CEG'er
I originally posted this in new members so ill post it here too. I found this problem going around an exit ramp (not fast). But today I felt it going around a bend in the city.
It was a slight right, 12oclock on steering wheel was about 2oclock. around 25-30mph. I was in 3rd gear and I havent been able to test other gears if that matters. Feels like a snap (never good) It will jerk the steering wheel in the opposite direction I am going. Almost like a clutch slip but the sound is too loud. If I was to point at it the problem, it would be right beneath the drivers side feet.
178Kmiles, original everything-transmission wise. I know I need to replace clutch and flywheel, but could that really cause this?
I can make a video if that would help.
I am going to order a SPEC clutch and flywheel, but would that really solve the problem? If its something else what could it be?

i would check out the axles/cv joints first and the rest of the suspension for wear. its possible it could be the diff but I am not sure. I don't think it has anything to do with the clutch.

as for what clutch to get, its your call but the stock SVT clutch is hands down the best if you are not planning any hugh modification for power in the future.

i would check out the axles/cv joints first and the rest of the suspension for wear. its possible it could be the diff but I am not sure. I don't think it has anything to do with the clutch.

as for what clutch to get, its your call but the stock SVT clutch is hands down the best if you are not planning any hugh modification for power in the future.

ball park on axles/cv joints?
3L later, maybe summer. But would the SPEC be a downgrade for me right now?
I just dont want to get ripped when I take it to the shop.

ball park on axles/cv joints?
3L later, maybe summer. But would the SPEC be a downgrade for me right now?
I just dont want to get ripped when I take it to the shop.

I think you can get GMK axles from about $70 each, not really sure.

The spec stage 1 is equal to the SVT clutch, but they tend to cause alot of chatter. it is really preference and how much power you plan to make.

I think you can get GMK axles from about $70 each, not really sure.

The spec stage 1 is equal to the SVT clutch, but they tend to cause alot of chatter. it is really preference and how much power you plan to make.

How would I tell that to my ford dealership? GMK axles? they might look at me funny. But around 70 wouldnt be bad. I didnt think the axles would do that. I could understand cv joint. I will post reply on thursday after I take it to the shop and let them have a look. and ill ask if its reasonable and if i could get parts elsewhere THANKS!

sounds more like a steering/suspension issue.

and on a side note, if you are going to replace your clutch and flywheel, I would suggest just going stock if you want better longevity, the only time I would suggest a spec clutch is if you plan on modding pretty extensively, plus stock replacements through our parts hook up (bill jenkins) are actually pretty inexpensive.

How would I tell that to my ford dealership? GMK axles? they might look at me funny. But around 70 wouldnt be bad. I didnt think the axles would do that. I could understand cv joint. I will post reply on thursday after I take it to the shop and let them have a look. and ill ask if its reasonable and if i could get parts elsewhere THANKS!

if your going to have a Ford dealer look at it and replace parts they are only going to use Ford axles ... GMK is an aftermarket axle .... and the C/V joints are part of the axles so you would replace the axles if you need new CV joints.

if your going to have a Ford dealer look at it and replace parts they are only going to use Ford axles ... GMK is an aftermarket axle .... and the C/V joints are part of the axles so you would replace the axles if you need new CV joints.

GCK, GCK, GCK, GCK.......say it with me now. :laugh:

I knew that didn't seem quiet correct ...

GCK .... got it .... I just look at autozone and didn't see em listed.

to the OP, make sure you inspect everything before just buying axles. It sounds like a C/V problem to me because it happens when the wheel is turned but it could also be the diff, get it check out first before just buying parts for it ...

I knew that didn't seem quiet correct ...

GCK .... got it .... I just look at autozone and didn't see em listed.

to the OP, make sure you inspect everything before just buying axles. It sounds like a C/V problem to me because it happens when the wheel is turned but it could also be the diff, get it check out first before just buying parts for it ...

Yeah, they aren't listed anymore. They must of stopped carrying them now.

I just received some information that would point to the diff being the problem.

What I was just informed was that the C/V would just click but don't kick the steering wheel around.

A worn diff or one with a chipped gear tooth would cause the steering wheel to kick back.

this is a sign that the stock diff is about to let go

any suggestions on the diff (after I get it checked to see if thats it) I am going to be installing MSDS headers, new flywheel, new clutch and I will check the diff when I am doing that.
does anyone have an idea on price for a diff?

more info on the slip:
The reason I thought it was a clutch problem was because for the second it slipped i lose all power.:shrug: but I guess that would mean a diff as well. LSD time.
but it does feel like a pounding when it slips and reconnects. My g/f was sleeping in the car 2 nights ago when it happened and she noticed it.

I wanted GCK axles when I need to replace mine, but they were actually out of stock and I couldn't wait..
I ended up getting NAPA axles.. they come with a hell of a warranty.. so if I break one... one well..

I was confused why I kept hearing GMK, yeah GCK is a way cheaper axel option.

I took a ford mechanic for a ride today and he says it could be an axle giving way while you turn right and then snapping back in. OR it could be something inside the transmission. The snap is frame shaking now. Car is parked with the dealer and he will give it a look on monday. He doesnt think its the diff. Well see on monday.

Took it into the ford dealership and they told me "its the transmission"

I asked them if they checked the diff and axles and they said " I wish it was that"

After trying to figure out how they came to this conclusion he said something about spider-something. Sounded like even he wasnt too sure. Anyone heard of a "spider-******" in a transmission?

Well he said its going to be $1500 for a new trans.

I need advise.

Back