• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brakes not working (no pressure)

mackgeezy

CEG'er
okay , could someone help me i find out the obvious. so my brakes have no pressure on the pedal , and hardly brake at all.
heres the situation
i just replaced my left front a-frame and had my transmission replaced
and got it back the day before. so i go for a quick drive and my abs light and brake light are on , and the brakes completely suck . so i drive back home and look at the fuse box and its missing the #7 fuse , so i replace it and the lights are now off but the brakes still suck! so i check the hoses that go from the brake booster to near the intake , like the haynes manual said . and that test went good but still the brakes suck. so could someone please give me some ideas

also my car is a 98.5 mercury mystique GS

i wonder if the shop broke open the brake/hydraulic system and didn't bleed the brakes afterwards. might try bleeding the brakes. start with the fronts.

yeah , i was gonna try bleeding the brakes today but it started snowing pretty good , are there any other suggestions to check out?

Bleeding the brakes is the most obvious and easiest answer. Is there any fluid loss from the reservoir?

i know its the easiest answer , and im about to go do that , but i also was wondering of other suggestions , so i can check it all out at once .

and no there isnt any fluid loss , if they filled it up i dont know

well thanks ,

Bad Breaking...other causes

Bad Breaking...other causes

My experience...check your front bearings. Bad bearings allow the spindle to wobble, which allows your brake rotor to wobble, etc. etc. etc. Also, caliper springs incorrectly installed?

Guarantee there is air in the system. Brakes will work with air (I know from experience...:blackeye:) but they are TERRIBLE. Bleeding the brakes hopefully will solve your problem.

if the transmission was replaced make sure that the axle nuts are properly torqued to 210 ft/lbs as if they are loose it can cause poor brake performance.

An intake manifold leak could also affect the vaccuum to the booster. Is the pedal REALLY, REALLY hard to push down, or does it just go down normally and nothing happens? We just went through this with my wife's truck, drove us crazy till we found the leaking hose under the intake manifold. Her pedal was hard as a brick.

i put my car up on the lift , so i could check out the underbody , and to bleed the brakes , bleed the brakes . didnt help nor did much air escape , so then i was looking at what i original thought it was , the non-return valve. that goes from the brake booster and the intake ... because the last couple of days the brakes would work , and sometimes they wouldnt , so i checked where it connects to the intake , and sure enough its a loose connect , so i took a clamp and clamped er off and she been good to go ever since

so i dont know if this has been a problem for anybody else but that was my problem

Back