• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Some observations after new bearings...

Black EO

CEG'er
I spun a bearing about a month ago, on my 99,000 mile E0. I noticed that for the previous 5-10,000 miles, my car had started to get decreased mpg, and had started to run alittle hotter than it used to.

Anyways, I took my car to a shop to have the rod and main bearings replaced. The mechanic said that the crank looked unmarked but one of the rods had a streak on in, but was otherwise undamaged. Interestingly, he also said that one of the rod bearings that wasn't making the knocking noise looked worse than the noisy one.

So now, my car feels like it's making more power, my gas mileage is up to where it used to be, and my engine runs cooler. That all makes sense to me, since I'm assuming less friction now with the new bearings. But one weird thing, my exhaust tips are now very clean, where they used to look black and sooty.

So, what do we think here?

BTW, in the '80's I had a Dodge GLH. I spun one of the rod bearings, and took it to the dealer immediately, to be repaired under warranty. I drove that car, (like I stole it), another 40-50,000 miles, before I sold it.

Any best case guesses on how long my, (sorta refreshed), bottom end might hold up?

I spun a bearing about a month ago, on my 99,000 mile E0. I noticed that for the previous 5-10,000 miles, my car had started to get decreased mpg, and had started to run alittle hotter than it used to.

Anyways, I took my car to a shop to have the rod and main bearings replaced. The mechanic said that the crank looked unmarked but one of the rods had a streak on in, but was otherwise undamaged. Interestingly, he also said that one of the rod bearings that wasn't making the knocking noise looked worse than the noisy one.

So now, my car feels like it's making more power, my gas mileage is up to where it used to be, and my engine runs cooler. That all makes sense to me, since I'm assuming less friction now with the new bearings. But one weird thing, my exhaust tips are now very clean, where they used to look black and sooty.

So, what do we think here?

BTW, in the '80's I had a Dodge GLH. I spun one of the rod bearings, and took it to the dealer immediately, to be repaired under warranty. I drove that car, (like I stole it), another 40-50,000 miles, before I sold it.

Any best case guesses on how long my, (sorta refreshed), bottom end might hold up?

Judging by what I've read, about 160,000 if you beat on it

It seems to me that when someone just replaces the bearings they get another 5k-10k before needing more work. Maybe a few have gone longer though.

Once the damage has been done, it's over Johnny.

It seems to me that when someone just replaces the bearings they get another 5k-10k before needing more work. Maybe a few have gone longer though.

Once the damage has been done, it's over Johnny.

That's what everyone keeps saying around here. I'll tell ya, for now, the car runs awesome....

BTW, what's the longest someone here has gone with new bearings. I think I saw 15,000 miles and still going?

Last edited:
Back