• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help... engine (again)

kidSVT

CEG'er
I posted in the troubleshooting thread... anyone know what that ticking is?? I hope to God what the guy said on that thread is wrong.:

any help/advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
~Andrew

my mother always told me if i had nothing good to say....don't say anything at all.

so i won't say anything.

take a long screwdriver and place it on different parts of the motor, with the handle up to your ear like a stethoscope. or, if you have a stethoscope, even better...see if you can pinpoint it. if, looking at the motor from the front of the car, it's coming from the back left...brace yourself...

its the begining of the end..one way or the other. it sounds like a valve is getting tapped by the piston...or drrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm rollllllllllllllll...bearing is getting ready to go:blackeye:

yeah that's what i'm saying. i've heard lots of people who said they thought they had valvetrain noise...but it never turns out to be that.

:cry:

Looks and sounds like it too, another engine will be going into that SVT. 3L time?

You just can't win. :(

shoulda gone 3L the 1st time. I guess its God's way of telling me to get a 3L. Defidently something I don't need right now. :(

shoulda gone 3L the 1st time. I guess its God's way of telling me to get a 3L. Defidently something I don't need right now. :(

I know that feeling. Try having a spark, fuel, and compression, but not a running car. I hear "3 liter er er er" every time I try to turn her over.

Yeah, sounds like my 96 2.5 5spd before it finally blew.
Started off sounding like valve tap, then it started knocking on a fairly consistant basis, then only half the cylinders would fire and finally it spun a bearing.

I remembetr the last day I drove it.
I had already had a new car for about 6 months, and haden't driven the Tour for a while, but I decided, eh since its completely shot why not rock it till the wheels fall off before junking it.

Man, it lasted about 2-3 weeks, and finally on the last day, sounding like an 80 something year old, 65 year Pall Mall smoker with lung cancer and emphasemia it wouldn't go above 50 MPH in any gear and then seized right as I pulled up to my weekly card game at the Knights, were it stayed for over 6 months before they forced me to junk it. Lol.

I kept swearing I was gonna tow it to a garage, swap a 3L in and do the ultimate sleeper, although I am not even sure if that is possible with the 1st gen Tour's. LMAO.

I just pulled up to the card game one day, and the car was gone, when I walked in, someone handed me my plates and said, " here, we figured we just junk it for you, I have a friend that owns a salvage lot".

LOL.:D :p :laugh:

Back