• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interest Check: Replacement Leather Steering Wheel Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people would be interested in Alcantara? Its used in a lot of high end cars, feels and looks like suede and color options are much better than leather...

For the leather I would need to get a custom dye made for each color since I haven't been able to find a color that is close enough...

I got some alcantara samples in today and I have a good match for the midnight blue interior and I am pretty sure they'll be better matches for the tan and gray interiors...

I'll post some pics up of the samples soon but let me know about the alcantara idea?

This is the near match for the MB let me know what you think
alcantara_21.jpg

still interested depending on installation methods and what it looks like installed. Alcantara is awesome but sometimes has a tendency to rip if we have to make our own holes for sewing or if we have to do some stretching or need to stress the fabric in any way. -- its not as tough as leather or real suede.

The holes will be pre made and from the little test I did with the sample it actually seems to be pretty hard to tear I am sure it will hold the stitches on the steering wheel with ease :)

I am curious as to why people want suede (Alcantara) in replacement of the stock leather. I have seen stock leather covers in great condition and I wish mine was like that. What is so much better about suede??:shrug:

Frosty has a good point. No matter how careful you are about only touching your steering wheel with clean hands, the oil from your hands will stain/varnish the suede over time. Can the (Alcantara) be cleaned without color bleed or damage?

Alcantara is a sort of synthetic suede which feels and looks like suede but much more durable, its used in many high end cars

From their website
Alcantara® combines softness, elegance, and rich colour with high resistance to wear and tear and incredible ease of maintenance. It is perfectly suited to innovative, prestigious applications in car upholstery.

And here is a link for cleaning instructions http://www.alcantara.com/newsite/americas/contenuti/pdf/manutenzione_alcantara.pdf

Wheelskins sent me samples back in the day and I found a pretty darn good match to the Midnight blue. I'd much rather have a leather cover.

Shown against my Lotek A-pillar pod painted MB
gaugepod2od.jpg

Against the interior
midnightblue9bs.jpg

Closeup of the tan samples
tan8dn.jpg

I would much rather have leather as well, thats why I was asking why people are prefering alcantara to the leather replacement. I would like to keep the steering wheel stock looking

Alright, I'll search a bit more about the leather option too ;)
Hopefully I can find a supplier

Since I have not heard anything on this I have taken it upon myself to inquire about a group purchase option from Wheelskins.com

Hopefully I'll have an answer for everyone sometime this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back