• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98contour Svt...V.s....2003 Bmw 325i

I test drove an e46 328i 4 door before I got my 540 and it seemed to be on par with my 2000 svt. It had a little more power, but also a little more wieght. It might have a slight advantage on a rwd launch and very top end because of the gearing, but I still think you should take a 325i without the shot. The e46 330 would be a better race.

Ive raced a 325CI from a dig i had him the the whole time about 2 cars behind me..Stock CSVT with reso delelte with a high flow in place..and Intake..

the svt was made just to beat the bmw 3 and audi a4

The SVT does haul... but I've just bought a 98 Audi A4 to replace my contour so I have to take issue with this statement. While it may or may not be true when comparing stock cars, my Audi with the 1.8t is the most tunable car I've ever encountered (also the most under-tuned from the factory). It doesn't take much to make a 4 banger turbo Audi haul serious ass. $400 bought me a chip for my audi that brought it up to 200hp and 245lbs torque. The engine, with its forged internals can handle 300+ streetable hp at the wheels! .. and it's not uncommon to find it done. That was always my problem with the contour, the options were limited and very expensive. Heck for $1500 I can have 200 whp like this guy just did
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181004&highlight=big+turbo

Last edited:
I dunno, man. It must be SUPER-untuned from the factory.

I drove my boss' 2000 A4 turbo quattro for a few days, and it was like I was driving UNDERWATER. Sluggish, rolling, cushy, boring. Made me REALLY happy to get back in my Roush. I thought those cars were supposed to be performers, but that car was anything but.

The SVT does haul... but I've just bought a 98 Audi A4 to replace my contour so I have to take issue with this statement. While it may or may not be true when comparing stock cars, my Audi with the 1.8t is the most tunable car I've ever encountered (also the most under-tuned from the factory). It doesn't take much to make a 4 banger turbo Audi haul serious ass. $400 bought me a chip for my audi that brought it up to 200hp and 245lbs torque. The engine, with its forged internals can handle 300+ streetable hp at the wheels! .. and it's not uncommon to find it done. That was always my problem with the contour, the options were limited and very expensive. Heck for $1500 I can have 200 whp like this guy just did
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181004&highlight=big+turbo

yes the 1.8t is very tunable, but of course ford isnt going to make a car to compete agains a modified german luxury car, they made one to compete with the car the factory put out, which feat is still impressive in my opinion.

since the CSVT has no problem against the 325i what chances would a stock tour have against one? any shot given the shifts are perfect?

d-tec of course, not zetec

i agree, the 325i's and 328's are pretty pathetic. back in the days when my CSVT was stock, i raced my buddy with an 03' 325i. from a dig i pulled about 3 car lengths up to 110. and from a 60 roll i could pull him a decent 4+ lengths.. and one night not too long after that, but after i installed my trubendz y-pipe, test pipe, and 2.5" cat-back, i found some rich kid in his daddys 328 on the highway. i had my friend with me in the passenger seat, and he was by himself as far as i could tell. we did i think 4 pulls. the first two we went from 60 and by the time i topped out 4th at 7k (i think its about 122 mph), i had him by 2-3 lengths. same happened when we went from 70. the last pull we went from 50-135. i had him by bout 4 lengths at the end... completely unimpressed with the 3 series, except for the M3 that is..

i agree, the 325i's and 328's are pretty pathetic. back in the days when my CSVT was stock, i raced my buddy with an 03' 325i. from a dig i pulled about 3 car lengths up to 110. and from a 60 roll i could pull him a decent 4+ lengths.. and one night not too long after that, but after i installed my trubendz y-pipe, test pipe, and 2.5" cat-back, i found some rich kid in his daddys 328 on the highway. i had my friend with me in the passenger seat, and he was by himself as far as i could tell. we did i think 4 pulls. the first two we went from 60 and by the time i topped out 4th at 7k (i think its about 122 mph), i had him by 2-3 lengths. same happened when we went from 70. the last pull we went from 50-135. i had him by bout 4 lengths at the end... completely unimpressed with the 3 series, except for the M3 that is..

Might want to visit the rules section again!

ya. about that previous statement, it wasnt me. it was all done in a video i saw on the interweb. i dont know what i was talking about.. but i still think a CSVT could beat a 325i and be even with a 328 stock..

and to think they claim the bimmers are "under-rated from the factory" :rolleyes:

i like the way they drive and feel but they definitely dont seem faster than a csvt, so im not surprised.

if youre going to use nitrous, then dont even worry about the shifting. just take it easy. it'd be an easy win without even trying...:laugh:

if it were me, id race him without the nitrous. that way when it gets posted on his little bimmer forum they all wont be crying that it was because of the nitrous but he would have had you without it :rolleyes:

and bimmer mods cost a TON of money and dont do squat for them, lol.

Yeah dude. I'm salivating all over my keyboard here! I'm getting brain twitches and I can't tell if they're from excitement, or from the little shocks of electricity running up the strands of drool from my short-circuited keyboard to my mouth... :drool:

Keep us in the loop man!

well if my stock 2.5 SE could destroy a 328 my buddy had i think its not even worth your time against a 325.

just my .02

OK that's it, I'm going beemer-hunting. It'll be so fun! I always thought they were the "Ultimate Driving Machines" and was afraid to challenge one, but I guess that's just a lotta hype. With my exhaust, intake, and XCal2, I bet I could take a 325, maybe a 328.

OK that's it, I'm going beemer-hunting. It'll be so fun! I always thought they were the "Ultimate Driving Machines" and was afraid to challenge one, but I guess that's just a lotta hype. With my exhaust, intake, and XCal2, I bet I could take a 325, maybe a 328.

Depends on the year you are talking about, I would be willing to venture the new 3 series stock would be able to handidly dominate a stock svt.

Yes it would. Bmw has stayed competitive with everyone else (a 300+hp Hyundai?!? Are you kidding me?). Having owned 2 svt contours, I can say that my old e36 325is (2 door) was equal with the svt. So was the 2001 328i (4 door) that I almost bought. Of course these were both 5 speeds. It mainly depends on the model/year/tranny of the car you're racing.

Back