• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel filter replacement difficult?

csvt99

CEG'er
I believe it is time to replace my fuel filter. I read the How to on Autozone, and am now wondering if this is something I can do myself or if I should have a mechanic do it. I typical change oil, spark plugs, rotate tires, stuff like that, but nothing to complicated. I do have access to a lift.

If I did have a mechanic do this, how long does it typically take? I'll probably just have them do it if it only takes 15 mins or something.

Most shops charge $80 to change the fuel filter. If you plan to do it yourself ($10), make sure you don't break any of the lines. They are expensive. And yes, they take about 15 minutes to do it.

It is really pretty easy. The fuel filter is near the right rear wheel. You remove a clip from the inlet and outlet connectors and undo a large screw clamp (oversize hose clamp) that holds the filter in place. New clips come with the new filter (check the box before you buy and make sure they are present).

I helps to run the right rear wheel up on a ramp for access. Some people do things to run the fuel low in the lines or depressurize the line to minimize fuel spill, but most professionals don't bother. To depressurize the lines, you can find the schreider valve (looks similar to a tire valve stem) up near the fuel rail under the hood, remove the valve cap, and depress the valve core stem with a small screwdriver. You can also pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine until it stalls. Some people find the fuel shut-off impact switch and give it a whack to trip it and run the engine until it stalls, then push the reset button when finished.

I yanked the fuse under the hood and ran 'er dry before I put a new one in my car. Worked well and I didn't spill too much gas.

If the winter road treatments in your area are similar to mine (salt, salt and more salt), then you'll prolly want a new hanger for the filter. Try a hose clamp big enough to go around the fuel filter and then some extra, and that should do just fine... I found out I needed one with my car completely immobile and I rode a couple miles trying to find a convenience store with hose clamps on my bike (so glad I live in a city instead of on the farm I grew up on haha).

I did my fuel filter in the parking garage with a flathead screwdriver...

Backed the rear tire up on the Curb, Crawled under, swaped filter, parked car, went to class.

Back the passenger side of the car up on some 2x4's. SET THE PARKING BRAKE. Pull the fuse (or disconnect the electrical connection on the pump under the seat). Start it up. Let it idle until it dies. Crawl under the passenger side door. Put on a pair of rubber gloves. Clamp something (vice grips, etc.) on the hoses on either side of the cannister (not too tight to damage anything). Pull the clips off with a flat head screw driver. Reinstall with new clips supplied. Crawl out. Take gloves off. Replace fuse. Done.

10 minutes and $8 vs. a shop that is going to charge you $20 for the filter and take a half hour to change it (after you've already waited for them to get it in to begin with).

Had my car inspected at my dad's shop today. I had them change out the fuel filter since they had it up on the lift anyway. They charged me $30 for parts and labor. I was pretty happy, and thought this was a decent utilization of my time. Saved me a mess, headache, and evening/ Saturday afternoon.

Glad I changed the O2 sensor myself though. I'm pretty sure that saved me a good deal of money.

Back