• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strange noises from front passenger wheel??

I was wondering if I could have some input from the experienced CEGers out there about some odd noises coming from front passenger wheel. The noise started as a clicking with a light vibration. Similar to a small hole in the exhaust but the noise is dependent on the wheel, not the engine. There is no noise when at a stop. This has progressed a stronger clicking and vibration with a grinding sound, which is now easily felt through the steering wheel. Currently it literally sounds like there are rocks in the wheel. This noise/vibration is much more pronounced when making a left hand turn and is almost totally absent when turning right. Also, there is considerable noise when going in reverse, regardless of the direction you are steering. It's a non-rhythmic clunking with a harsh grinding and a queer high-pitched chirp. With the grinding I assumed that my front pads were wearing out but I replaced them yesterday afternoon and the noise is unchanged. The pads were in decent shape for being two years old and had the wear and tear you would expect. [Man those caliper springs are a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: getting back in!] The caliper and rotor also seemed okay. The tie rod end, despite being only few months old [PepBoys crap!], seems to be in bad shape. The rubber housing is cracked.

Am I right in assuming that the trouble could be with any of the following:
1. Tie rod end.
2. Wheel bearing. On testing the wheel has no give either inward or outward or top to bottom. Although when spun it has a rough feel.
3. Loose sub-frame bolts.
4. Warped rotor or defective caliper. There was a slight vibration on applying brakes prior to pad replacement but none since.

Any other suggestions as to ''the usual suspects'' with these symptoms. Any suggestions in isolating one of them from the pack or eliminating them as a cause. CSVT has 103k while the rotor [2 years] and pads are new, the caliper and rest of the hardware is original. The car was recently aligned--2 months ago.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Back