• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What could the the problem be?????

sportracer

CEG'er
My check engine light started blinking yesterday so I went and got the codes read at advance auto parts. I have a 98 mystique with a 2.5 automatic. These are the codes that were read:
po113 IAT Sensor 1
P0340 Camshaft position sensor a
Po443 EVAP emission control system purge valve C fault
P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected

Also these came up as DTC pending codes

P0102 Maf or Vaf a circuit low input
Po171 System too lean (bank 1)

And now my car wont start, What do I need to do to fix this????

it seems like your IAT sensor, Camshaft position sensor, MAF, and one of your O2 sensors are bad.

Do you think replacing the camshaft sensor would fix this. I think that might be causing the emissions codes and misfire since all are on that bank. I could be wrong with this.

...P0340 Camshaft position sensor a
....And now my car wont start, What do I need to do to fix this????
P0340. This is the reason your car is not starting. Fix it first.

Then get the codes read again when the "new" ones show up.

As for P0136 and P0171, make sure the Bank 1 (firewall side) Lower O2 sensor is not broken.

Edit. Location of Camshaft Position Sensor...Chongo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/500739/2

Figure 2 Autozonelink
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

Last edited:
Ok I replaced the camshaft position sensor but still cannot get my car to start. It cranks fine but doesn't kick over. It started fine the last two days until last night when it start and when in put in reverse it went about a foot then shut off now it doesn't want to start. What is the problem???

po113 IAT Sensor 1
P0340 Camshaft position sensor a <---replaced this sensor today
Po443 EVAP emission control system purge valve C fault
P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2) <---shouldn't be a problem, was driving fine with this code thrown for 3 weeks
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected

Also these came up as DTC pending codes

P0102 Maf or Vaf a circuit low input
Po171 System too lean (bank 1)

Last edited:
anybody have a clue what the problem could be. could the o2 sensor finally have gone out and is this the lower 02 or the upper one on the front.

First of all, make sure it is the Camshaft Position Sensor you replaced and not the CKP.

The P0136 is Bank 1 Lower Sensor as posted earlier.

Try removing two spark plugs, then put 1 teaspoon of oil in each cylinder, reinstall sp. Push gas pedal all the way down (this shuts off the injectors) and then start.

Ill try removing the spark plugs. Yes I'm sure it was the camshaft sensor right on top of the engine by the pulleys plus its right by the camshafts. thats what i thought about the o2 sensor.

You may have lost the 5V feed to the sensors. Check for voltage with key in run at the IAT as it is probably the easiest to access.

You may have lost the 5V feed to the sensors. Check for voltage with key in run at the IAT as it is probably the easiest to access.
This reminded me. When you turn the key to on, does the CEL light come on for a few seconds before going off when you start the car? If the CEL light does not come on at that time, it means there is no power going to the PCM.

yes the cel light comes on and stays on. it cranks but doesnt not start at all just cranks. I'll try these two options tomorrow and let you know. It ran perfectly before this happened. The night before it stopped starting it start just losing rpms like the engine would die and then go back to normal. then the next day you could hear a kind of chug in the exhaust instead of a straight growl. I dont know if this helps at all. I got these codes right before it died.

Ok I replaced the lower front o2 sensor hoping that is the problem but it still doesnt start. I also put is some heet to see if this might help since it has been cold out here and nothing happened. What could be some suggestions Im limited with tools since the rest are at my parents.

I don't know much about these cars but sounds like some crazy broken wire, loose corroded connector problem.

Mike

the whole engine only has 45,000 on it. I'm thinking the codes need to be erased, unless there are other codes that got thrown. Idk, I'm sending it to a mechanic tomorrow I need it to work again since it is my dd.

One place I was talking to thought it was a timing chain and that is why those codes were thrown, is this correct or was he guessing. He said it was common on these vehicles.

oxygen sensors and bad wires wont cause your car to not start. you wont have 6 wires just all of a sudden short out and not work. timing is a very good possibility. without proper timing, your engine wont fire when its supposed to and the car will not start. if it does start, your in for a huge headache when all your valves are bent and you need a motor.

One place I was talking to thought it was a timing chain and that is why those codes were thrown, is this correct or was he guessing. He said it was common on these vehicles.
It is NOT the timing chain.

The common problem on the Contours are the timing belts (for the Zetec 2.0 L).

Check all grounds again. Two usually get overlooked. One for the ignition coil and one which goes under the battery tray.

Back