• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 engine harness same as 96 for 2.5 contour?

sr_ryan1

New CEG'er
can i swap out a 96 engine harness to a 98

when did ford start using returnless fuel for the contours i thank mid 99? if so than the 98 wiring should still be the same right? :shrug:

from what i see its just one fuel line that loops around the injectors and goes back to the tank. i already have the intake and harness's off and thats what i can see so far. What do you mean 3 diffrent MTX and ATX?? there are 6 diffrent transmissions? harness's?

Last edited:
from what i see its just one fuel line that loops around the injectors and goes back to the tank. i already have the intake and harness's off and thats what i can see so far. What do you mean 3 diffrent MTX and ATX?? there are 6 diffrent transmissions? harness's?

Check your door jamb and post the date that the vehicle was built. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm if it were a "Pre98" (return style) or not. If you look at TSB 99M03, you will see that there are 3 different harnesses for the 1996 ATX and 3 different harnesses for the 1996 MTX.

Check your door jamb and post the date that the vehicle was built. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm if it were a "Pre98" (return style) or not. If you look at TSB 99M03, you will see that there are 3 different harnesses for the 1996 ATX and 3 different harnesses for the 1996 MTX.

okay i saw the 3 diffrent harness's looks like its just some ABS crap, shouldent keep the car from running though, anyways the car was built 09/95 and sold as a 96.

If the 98 harness had wiring problems why didnt ford recall them as well?

...If the 98 harness had wiring problems why didnt ford recall them as well?
If I had to make a guess, according to their "accounting paperwork", they switched over to a new vendor or brand and it is supposed to be stronger. But who knows what happened to the few thousand (??) left over wiring harnesses.:shrug:

From what I can gather in his reply, he thought you were replacing a 98 wiring harness with a 96 harness, not vice versa. There is no problem with the 98 harnesses like the pre 98 ones aside from maybe not having the proper connections.

From what I can gather in his reply, he thought you were replacing a 98 wiring harness with a 96 harness, not vice versa. There is no problem with the 98 harnesses like the pre 98 ones aside from maybe not having the proper connections.

Who is "his", "he" and "you" in your post? :confused:

bill cant find me a kit so it looks like ill just order a used harness, save me some money anyway. if some connections dont fit im going to get all pissed off and bent out of shape and have to cut off the old connections and use them.

Your car and all cars pre 98.5 (or later) have return type fuel delivery systems. It could have been 99 before returnless entered the picture.

Not certain, but I believe that the wiring is the same. As a previous 95/OBD1 owner, I can state that the 95's ARE different and cannot be used. Don't worry about the build date-yours is OBD2.

From what I've seen/experienced, 98.5's and later were when Ford started making big changes (mostly for the worse). Stuff like 2 bolt front A arms, etc.

You may run into some small differences like a different plug here, different wire colors here, etc. But I bet you can make it work with a little effort.

I don't have harness experience with a Contour, but I helped my brother replace the engine in a 93 Eagle Vision (3.5L) with a same year, same model donor car and ended up with a few plug/wire color differences.

We transplanted as many connectors as we could off the old engine, but ended up with 1 or 2 where we had to splice in the old connectors in ourselves.

So if it's out of a junkyard car, try to get as much wiring as possible off the old engine so it will mate plug and play with the harness.

Back