• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any issues with lightening a stock clutch?

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm going to be pulling out my trans pretty soon and am trying to get all of the details sorted out now so i'm prepared when the time comes.

I have a shop that is willing to give me a good deal on lightening my stock flywheel a little bit. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with a lightened stock flywheel or has done this to their car with some feedback.

Any input is welcome. Just debating whether I want to have them shave some weight off or not...

The lighter the flywheel, the faster the RPM's will climb, but it gets to a point if the flywheel is too light, it will become harder to drive the car. Just my .02

Adam

PS: leave it the way it is, or get an SVT flywheel

he already has a svt. they wont be able to take enough off to cause driveability issues.. if they can shave it,resurface and rebalance it all for less than the cost of a fid. or equiv. i'd say go for it. btw,theres a brand new fidz. flywheel for sale over on neco for 200

Pardon the pun while I weigh in... you will notice the revs climb faster in 1st and 2nd with a really light weight flywheel, but only in those gears from my perspective, and depending on how your launch goes, you are out of 1st gear really quickly anyway and/or spending much of that gear hoping to feather your clutch or get traction. So the benefit is not huge and rarely justifies paying like $400 for a super light flywheel. On the other hand, lightening an SVT flywheel is not going to reduce that fly weight much, maybe not worth the bother even if close to free, but to get a good 9 lb one for $200 would be a steal.

he already has a svt. they wont be able to take enough off to cause driveability issues.. if they can shave it,resurface and rebalance it all for less than the cost of a fid. or equiv. i'd say go for it. btw,theres a brand new fidz. flywheel for sale over on neco for 200

Now that's tempting... If only it was next friday aka payday...

I wanted to buy all of my trans upgrades at once...

Any driveability issues with the Fidanza?? This car is my daily driver so I have to keep that in mind. But I doubt i'll have any trouble with it, just wondering how much different the flywheel really makes it.

Last edited:
they can sometimes get hard to get used to,esp in the rain,you'll prob spin more than usual. the rpm's also drop quicker in between shifts. a lighter svt flywheel might be a good bet,if you can lose 3 or so lbs you'll notice it. ive driven a svt w/a stock duratec flywheel and the same car w/a svt flywheel. the acceleration in first/second was noticeably different:shrug:

Back