• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spare Keys

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
I have only one Key for my '98 SE. I want to get 2 spare keys. Can I buy the blanks on EBay? If so, who can cut these? Walmart and Sears claim they Can't becuae the key has some sort of computer chip inside. Will a dealer cut blanks that I bought on EBay?

Is my only other option to buy the spares from the dealer? And will they care if I didn't buy my car from them?

From my understanding is if you have a V6 you have the pats system and if you have the your key has a chip inside. I guess they thought the I4 was to slow to steal.

anyone can cut the key but if you want it to start the car then you need to have a PATS key if your car is equiped with PATS. since you have a 98 you should be able to program additional keys yourself otherwise you need the have the dealer program them to the car since you only have one key ...

I do have the PATS system (my car is a 6 cylinder). Walmart and Sears both told me that they could not cut the key for me.

How do I program a key myself? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Ok, I think I got it. Because my car is an early '98 (built in Dec 1997), I only need one key to program the spare.

I thought some have posted that you could take the "chip" out and ziptie it close to the ignition. Then any cut key would work. Of course, then you lose the security of the PATS.

My old car is a '96. My new car - the one I am trying to get keys for - is a '98.

You are right abouit PATS not being available for '96 - at least it isn't present on mine.

I got two keys from the Ford Stealer a couple of weeks ago. They were $18 each with the them cutting the keys and $100 to reprogram. And of course the Service Manager tells me there's no other way to program the keys :mad: Needless to say, I didn't pay the $100 :laugh: .

If the production date on your 98 was 2/1/98 or earlier, you should only need one key in order to program new keys (Type A system). For production dates of 2/2/98 and later, Type E systems require two programmed keys to be available in order to add additional keys.

PATS was not available on Contour/Mystiques prior to model year 98.

Sears and WalMart do not have access to the necessary blanks to duplicate your key, however, their ACCESS key machine is perfectly capable of cutting a duplicate using a blank that you provide whether off ebay or whatever. The only problem you'll have is getting the employee to do it.... BTDT.

Steve

I bought a spare key from Ford and tried programming via the howto on here...it will reprogram just fine and will start the car just fine UNTIL I put the original key back in. Once that happens, it will go back to only opening the driver side door...I don't know why mine does that....but just thought I would share some insight, seems like everyone elses' keys work fine when they program em.

Back