• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Frozen Lock?

Dave98SVT

CEG'er
I live in Michigan and I think my driver side front door lock is frozen. I am not sure if this is the problem though all other locks work fine and I tried lock de-icer. When I press unlock from the keyless entry or the inside of the car just the driver door stays locked. I tried pressing the lock it will only turn about halfway. Does this sound like a frozen lock? I've had frozen locks on other vehicles but de-icer and hitting the door always fixed the problem. I am going to try a heat gun when I get out of class. Any other suggestions?

The locks on these cars can freeze up pretty easy. I've heard that the locking mechanism gets really gummed up and freezes up

thats funny I have been having the exact same problem with my svt lately. sometimes I don't even lock my door just for fear of it not unlocking. let me know how the heat thing works out.

take a cheap key that fits in the lock still , and a lighter....heat up the key and put it in....you can do it with your own key but it weakens the key...also dont turn it just put it in, let it sit a min, and pull it out....

take a cheap key that fits in the lock still , and a lighter....heat up the key and put it in....you can do it with your own key but it weakens the key...also dont turn it just put it in, let it sit a min, and pull it out....

Most of the time that doesn't work. Hair dryer works, though. As does hot water. But I don't recommend hot water, because then the next time you come out to your car the door will be frozen shut and will require a hair dryer anyways ;)

Back