• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel out of the top hose of intake manifold?

mstrunk

New CEG'er
My car started having horrible hesitation problems. I noticed if I unplugged the closest tube on top of the intake manifold gas is streaming out of it. Would that be the fuel pressure regulator and is there any other possibilities that would cause gas to come out of there.
Thanks,
Mike

Here's an image showing which tube.

Here's an image showing which tube.

vactubes0nr.jpg

Most probably fuel line broke or came out from the fuel pressure regulator. You have a Pre-98, I presume? Parts and part numbers are in the posted link.

It is a 1998 v6. It looks to me like there are lines that combine into the tube on top of the manifold. 1 from on top of the fuel pressure regulator but I'm unsure what the other two would be. Am I correct in thinking that the only way for gas to make it in that tube would be through the fuel pressure regulator. Thank you

.... Am I correct in thinking that the only way for gas to make it in that tube would be through the fuel pressure regulator. ...
...or if one of the fuel injectors came loose. Only way to really know is to take out the UIM. Need new gaskets. Instructions posted above.

Fuel is coming out of the combo vacuum line? There are 3 vaccum lines going to that combo tube. I'd agree with you that the only feasible one would be from the fuel pressure regulator. Just unplug the line from the regulator and see if fuel comes out. The other 2 go to the EGR valve and the HVAC... neither of which should be near gas.

Leaky injector maybe, It could be anything fuel related. Take the UIM off (its easy) and take a look at the fuel rail, you can also let the car run cold for 2 mintues, turn the car off, then run and quickly unbolt the UIM (leave the intake and TB crap on) and lift it slightly to see what port the steam is coming out of, that will tell you which injector isnt working.

If it was a leaky injecter would fuel pour out of the black tube? Also what would happen if the return line to the gas tank is plugged? Just curious.
Thanks, Mike

So I thought I would update everyone. Origionally the car was not running too good with a little gas out of so called tube so I went ahead and replaced the regulator. Test drove fine. Went to work fine. But never made it out of the parking lot to go home. So thats why I was a little persistent in finding an answer. Anyway I decided to just buy another regulator and do it myself. See the thing is the first time I took off the old one but my buddy put in the new one. Well after taking out the so called new one low and behold it was a little different. Here's a couple picks to show the point.

This is the new one that broke right away.
Image186.jpg

This is the second new one that so far is working fine.
Image232.jpg

I called the parts store and they claim it is the correct one for the car and it should be but I think something different was in the box. The only number I could find on the regulator was 186AEAJ. Does anyone know what kind of car that would be for. Wish I had more info but I don't. Also, a big THANK YOU for everyones help. Mike

Back