• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX problem...

newsshooter

New CEG'er
Hi guys(& girls). It's been a while....car has been well behaved - till now. A couple of weeks ago my '99 Misty(2.5, ATX, just turned 71k) - on a 10 degree day, took off without warm up, stopped at light & when I tried to go again, she seemed to hesitate - then banged into gear. After that she was ok. I thought, perhaps, that I was still on the brakes while I was accellerating(I drive with both feet). Today,again, with no warm up(but around 35F), I went about 1/2 a mile & stopped on a fairly steep hill(facing up). When I took my foot off the brake & tried to go, she started to roll back(in D), & then banged into gear. When I got back to the house, I checked the tranny fluid level & it was low....added some fluid. Does this sound like a low fluid issue, a cold temp. problem, maybe a TSS issue, or re-build time(which would surprise me considering the mileage....though I don't know how the last owner treated her?). Thanks much, Pete

Thanks, Tony

Thanks, Tony

It would be great if it's just the fluid -- I haven't had a lot of luck over the years re: tranny's. Unfortunately, these days I have no place to work on the car.....so I'll be taking it to a local shop. Do you think a flush would be a good idea ? As for CEL codes - I've never tried to check them on this car....
...can I get them w/ignition "on/off, on/off", or something else ?? Also, I've been reading posts re: an updated TSS. Would that be applicable to my '99,
or no ? Thanks, again....Pete

We generally do not suggest flushing the ATfluid (if it hasn't been done regularly, every 30K miles or so). Just do the drain and refill. While it could be the Turbine Shaft Speed sensor, it may also not be. The 99s were supposed to have the upgraded sensor.

As for the CEL codes, no, you need a code reader for that. If it is the Check Engine Light is on, send it to Advance Auto or Autozone. They will read the code(s) for free.

followup...from shop

followup...from shop

Hey Tony. Just to let you know, & to inquire if this sounds reasonable: went to local Aamco/Globe today. Never dealt with this shop before....BBB said they were ok, & it is a large, modern facility with a fair amount of traffic on a Friday afternoon(which, hopefully, equates to quality & honesty?). Anyway, the mechanic took it for a 20 minute test drive, came back & said it seemed fine(except for some play in the motor mounts), & then put it up to check for leaks(was about 1-2 quarts low). I watched as he pointed out a leak from what he said was the accumulator/governor, & he explained why it was, mostly, a "cold" related issue(which seemed to make sense). They gave me a quote of $585., saying it was necessary to drop the tranny in order to do the repair(mostly labor, I guess?). While it's a lot cheaper than a re-build....I was really hoping, just once, not to have a major tranny issue with another of my used cars(but probably inevitable if I'm always buying 5 to 8 year old cars!). Thanks again, Pete

... I watched as he pointed out a leak from what he said was the accumulator/governor, & he explained why it was, mostly, a "cold" related issue(which seemed to make sense). They gave me a quote of $585., saying it was necessary to drop the tranny in order to do the repair(mostly labor, I guess?). While it's a lot cheaper than a re-build....I was really hoping, just once, not to have a major tranny issue with another of my used cars(but probably inevitable if I'm always buying 5 to 8 year old cars!). Thanks again, Pete
It could be the piping gong to it. Yes, it would probably cost $585 to do that.

uh, oh..$$$$

uh, oh..$$$$

Hey, Tony....this is getting better all the time. The shop called me back today & said the tranny is leaking all over, & when they dropped the pan it had lots of metal....I guess it's possible for a tranny to just self-destruct in a short period of time ?! But, on the other hand, aside from the 2 times that it "clunked" into gear this month -- if it was really bad, wouldn't it have been apparent ?.....like slipping, or noise, or something ?? Anyway....if this does turn into a re-build or something close --- I saw a post(I think in General Discussion forum)...someone mentioned doing a re-build & said they included an "upgrade" for the ATX, which would, possibly, help avoid the same failure repeating. Do you have any idea what he was refering to ?? Pete...

you could try a flush, it helped my greatly. but you do run into that problem. also, if you have a real problem, it would just be a waste of money. i guess you just have to think it threw and decide how your going to go about this problem

I watched as he pointed out a leak from what he said was the accumulator/governor, & he explained why it was, mostly, a "cold" related issue(which seemed to make sense).

The accumulator/governor? Is that the circular "cap" on the bottom of the tranny? If so, I was leaking tranny fluid from there pretty badly. A new $5 seal and a 5 minute fix and I was taken care of...But then again there might be more wrong with yours than that...

I need to hit the lottery....soon!!

I need to hit the lottery....soon!!

Hey guys(Steve, devanmc, zorrex): For one, I'm not much of a do-it-yourself'er. I can do small, curbside projects, but I've never had a place to do major work. And as far as trannies go, I guess you could say I am a tranny shops favorite type customer....I leave the car for them to check out & then end up just taking their word as to what's wrong with it($$$). I'm not saying all shops are dishonest, but when the customer does not know that much about the item involved -- basically, your at their mercy. Well, so much for my thinking that all trannies had a pan. &, yes, that round cap on the bottom....the mechanic that initially checked the car out said it might be possible to repair it from the outside(like yours was). But when I got the call from the Aamco boss-man, he said no....they had to drop the tranny to do a proper inspection. & that led to the determination: it was leaking all over the place/the pump was shot/there were bits of metal floating around that were messing up other parts, including the electronics....in other words, re-build time !! To the tune of 3-large$$ !! If I had any clue before hand this was going to be a re-build, I would have called around for the best price/warranty deal. Ford said the same figure, but with a 3-yr/75k warranty, not just a 12/12. & another local shop said they would do it for $2500. including a heavy-duty shift set-up, + 12/12. Too late.....I'm screwed.....back to the poor house. Pete....

I wouldn't always believe what a mechanic says to be completely honest...I got screwed over with my car when I first got it (this was before I knew anything about cars), so I wouldn't put it past them to screw you. I know it sounds pessimistic, but if you know of a REPUTABLE mechanic, LET HIM LOOK AT IT.

Take the car to a couple of different shops for quotes if you can help it. A $20-$30 inspection fee is nothing compared to $600.

AAMCO (stands for ALL Automatics Must Come Out) already has it pulled and torn down.

He's screwed at this point.

Probably cheaper to have them throw the parts in the trunk and call a junkyard to come and get it then go buy a replacement car.

Steve

Back