• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre98 hightower

68fordman

CEG'er
this has probably been asked many times, i searched and all i found was 98+ stuff, has anyone ever hightowered pre-98 contour headlights, if so could you post a pic and were theydone the same way as 98+

thank you

you cant hightower a pre98 headlamp because there are only 2 parts to it. the lens and the housing. there is very little extra chrome that can be removed. at one point i opened up my headlamps and painted the extra chrome to match the car. ill see if i cant find the pics and post them later.

I found that in this thread:
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4031

nope,*maybe* if you have HID's you could do it. but if you think your lighting is bad now,wait till you paint the chrome

I have pics of what i did to my old headlights that i can post tonight. you honestly couldnt hardly tell they were painted.

edit: i guess i no longer have the pics. i dont think i have the old headlights either. if i do i can take a picture of them if you would like.

Last edited:
I had my `96 Hightowered before I chopped the headlights to pieces for parts for a different project. I dont think I have any pics of it since it was done in like `02 or `03.

Anyway, with the headlamp in front of me, I made some marks (x preferably) on the seam between the black/clear plastic with a sharpie, then used a fine cut-off wheel and went around the lamp. After it was apart, I lightly sanded the ribbed chrome and painted that. DO NOT paint the reflector bowls. After the paint had dried I hooked it back together with the silicone taking up the space that the cut-off wheel had removed. Thats what the Xs were for, with like five of them on the lamp, I just had to make sure they were all perfect.

I didnt know much about lighting at the time so I didnt know about the acids the silicone could release when heated, the same with the paint. If I were to repeat the project today, I would bake the lamps without the lenses for a little while to let the paint release its fumes before I put the lenses back on. Would have used a different product to hook the lenses back on as well.

It didnt turn out half bad, I polished up the lenses while they were off and that really made the black show off.

The sidemarkers are the same, just be careful not to cut through the clear lens. Heat is not as much of an issue here so you can get away without baking them.

I lucked out with the Contour and its lighting didnt degrade over time when the paint heated. I did the same project with my V70R and the paint attacked the reflector bowls. Its headlamps are practically useless now. :(

i think im just going to wet-sand and buff them til the are as clear as they will get, thanks for the help though, ExDelayed im going to print your post out in case i decide to actually go through with it in the future (so i dont have to search for it)

thanks

Back