• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hamilton SVT - Need Some Help Ressurecting/Fixing

keithr

Veteran CEG'er
Hello All,

I'm not really that new here I just haven't posted very much. I'm driving I think the only SVT in town, she's gettin old, 99, 291,000 kms but still looks great and runs great, I think.

Basically, Im not mechanically inclined at all and need some help/motivation to get this ride into tip top shape and bounce some ideas of with, preferably someone that knows cars. I love this ride and dont intend on letting it go anytime soon. Anyone wanna help? I pay in Beer. Thanks everyone. I can reached here at the site or at my personal email address: keithsweb@gmail.com

Cheers.
Hammer 99 Silver Frost SVT.

Hello,

First off I think I may need a new hub and or wheel bearing on the drivers side, I periodically get a loud, I mean very load humming sound while driving slow and turning to the right, but not always, just sometimes.

I need to get my e-brake fixed for sure. And maybe its just age but it just doesn't seem to be running all that great as of late, really cant explain it. I also have a guage pod I want to have installed but have no idea how to do it.

I need some very minor body work done as I plan on getting it painted soon.
Just for starters of course.

Thanks,
Keith

Hello,

First off I think I may need a new hub and or wheel bearing on the drivers side, I periodically get a loud, I mean very load humming sound while driving slow and turning to the right, but not always, just sometimes.

I need to get my e-brake fixed for sure. And maybe its just age but it just doesn't seem to be running all that great as of late, really cant explain it. I also have a guage pod I want to have installed but have no idea how to do it.

I need some very minor body work done as I plan on getting it painted soon.
Just for starters of course.

Thanks,
Keith

Does the loud noise happen in sync with turning the steering wheel? If it is a bearing, I wouldn't be surprised -- that car's got a fairly large number on the odo.

As for it not running great of late, try a tune up -- new plugs et al. When's the last time the wires were changed? You could also be experiencing some buildup in your intake manifold. Lots of info on this site for cleaning that. I had some success with pulling the two vacum lines from the intake and feeding Red Line fuel system cleaner in there, although I suspect the MottorVac Carbon Clean service would do a great job as well.

As for the parking brake, NAPA sells the whole cable rig for a very reasonable price. My "guy" did the job in no time -- solved a lot of other brake issues in the process.

I have to do some minor rust work as well. POR-15 will be going on there to help stop the rot once and for all.

Back