• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Too much time on hand think'n again!

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone ever added the auto down to windows other than the drivers side?

I picked up another drivers side harness (I'll just use the relay connections) and a relay to add it to the passengers side. In looking at how this all works it seems to me that one could make all the windows do this if you could find a spot to mount the relays in the doors ......... or am I over simplifying this??

Comments, thoughts, and expirences welcome ;)

This had actually occurred to me several months ago. My thoughts were to get a bunch of auto-down driver's side switches from the junk yard, then disassemble the switches and swap out the internals. My main thought was to make all the switches on the driver's side auto-down, more so than adding auto-down to the other doors.

I've been meaning to do it in my Cougar after I saw someone do it to theirs years ago.
I'd like to put both one touch down on the passenger's door and on the driver's control for the passenger's window.

I think you fit in great. People as a modern society is so lazy we will work harder just to be more lazy. This is a perfect example. Like when you have to move something heavy and would rather lift it he go get the dolly because you are that lazy.

Are you getting preachy because the guy wants to enjoy a one-touch down feature in his car? :rolleyes: :nonono:
It's not about being lazy!

Last edited:
I think you fit in great. People as a modern society is so lazy we will work harder just to be more lazy. This is a perfect example. Like when you have to move something heavy and would rather lift it he go get the dolly because you are that lazy.

So will you be removing the one touch system from your driver door, or are you too lazy to undertake the project?
;)

I've been meaning to do it in my Cougar after I saw someone do it to theirs years ago.
I'd like to put both one touch down on the passenger's door and on the driver's control for the passenger's window.

What I really want is one touch up, but I guess in the US, it is a safety hazard. I have driven cars in Europe and Asia which have the one touch up and that is great for driving right after the toll booths.

This had actually occurred to me several months ago. My thoughts were to get a bunch of auto-down driver's side switches from the junk yard, then disassemble the switches and swap out the internals. My main thought was to make all the switches on the driver's side auto-down, more so than adding auto-down to the other doors.

Your idea is interesting but it wont work the way you perpose. There is no difference in the switches, it is done by a relay. The relay is triggered by a short pulse that is why if you hold the button too long it doesn't auto down. So to do it your way you wouid need to have the 4 relays and now that I'm thnking about how they all work I don't see why you couldn't control the other windows at both locations, but I'll have to think more on that. See the master control has wires that go to the other switches and by pass the operation of the switch itself. So that could go to the relay for that window and do the auto down. again the issue is the location of the relays. I am kinda thinking that one could be installed in each door with a little thought and sweat. The wiring could be intercepted and directed to the relay. Hmmmmmmm......

WOW!!!! it's like you have known me all my life.....:) I am lazy and that's why I work so hard at this kinda stuff so I can enjoy the lazyness of life :D My Bride keeps telling me I need to take a day off now and then...... and as soon as I get this figured out and a couple of other things done I'm gonna listen to her ;)

Word. Want to add it to my sunroof. Hate holding it.:mad:

You know I thing you could use this same relay to do that. The only thing, as I see right now, is you would need to remote locate the relay and just run the wires to the motor and the switch. Again the relay works on a short pluse, and stops on resistance, so a tap on the button would run it open. good thinking ;)

What I really want is one touch up, but I guess in the US, it is a safety hazard. I have driven cars in Europe and Asia which have the one touch up and that is great for driving right after the toll booths.

IT AINT THE GOVERNMENTS CAR AND I'LL WIRE HOW I DAM WELL PLEASE! AUTO UP IS A GOOD IDEA! SPECIALLY ON THOSE RAINY DAYS WHEN THE WIND IS BLO'N IT SIDEWAYS (i live in orygun)..... I DON'T NEED THE GOVERNMENTS HELP WITH MY LIFE! I GOT MY OWN MARINE FOR PROTECTION AND THE GOOD SENSE GOD GAVE A ROCK TO KEEP ME FROM PUT'N MY HAND IN THE WINDOW ON THE WAY UP!

WHEW....... glad I got that out..... now:

Should not be a problem, but as I am thinking now, you need to add another relay. This is something I am considering and I will post an explaination of how it all works soon. So far, I have figured out the wires at the master switch, the relay, and window switches. Just need to think through a couple of things, but may post this info so you all can help work it out....... ;)

Warmonger made a one touch sunroof module.

and autoclose

When my electrician buddy gets back in a week or so I'm gonna talk to him about a double pole relay that would work with two triggers (up/dn) from the switch and two out puts. Just an idea don't know how it would work if there is such a critter, or where to get it. Right now I think I have this worked out using the parts on hand, and that I know are available.

You guys have given me some thinking to do, I better go have an adult beverage...... well I would but I'm too lazy to open it, so I gotta wait for my Bride to get home from work ;)

Your idea is interesting but it wont work the way you perpose. There is no difference in the switches, it is done by a relay. The relay is triggered by a short pulse that is why if you hold the button too long it doesn't auto down. So to do it your way you wouid need to have the 4 relays and now that I'm thnking about how they all work I don't see why you couldn't control the other windows at both locations, but I'll have to think more on that. See the master control has wires that go to the other switches and by pass the operation of the switch itself. So that could go to the relay for that window and do the auto down. again the issue is the location of the relays. I am kinda thinking that one could be installed in each door with a little thought and sweat. The wiring could be intercepted and directed to the relay. Hmmmmmmm......
WRONG-O!! The auto-down switch is a two position switch. If you push it lightly to the first position, then the window will go down until you release the switch. If you push it harder, it moves on to the spring-loaded second position and rolls the window all the way down. It should be as simple as taking apart the 4-place switch unit, and soldering in auto-down switches in place of the 3 manual switches. You're making this harder than it has to be. If the switches differ among year models, then go pull some out of a '98 (that's what I have).

Back