• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Minor Wreck..

Pre98

Hard-core CEG'er
Long story short I took a turn on an on-ramp too fast, spun out and smashed head on at 35mph. Astonishingly, the car is intact with just a large gash across the front bumper cover. It was a healthy jolt, but I'm fine.

The airbags did NOT deploy.. I'm frankly a little angry that they didn't. The patch of road appeared absolutely dry and salty, but was certainly black ice. I know how my car handles and it just kicked right out as soon as I turned.

Pics:

wreck1.jpg

wreck2.jpg

This car may or may not receive a full on overhaul in two months. It now needs a new bumper cover, hood, passenger mirror, moonroof motor and other minor things. Fixing it is cheaper than a brand new car, but I may scrap the idea of fixing it up and pick up an additional SVT. I want a PWC this summer though, so that idea may give way to a used Jeep with muddin tires instead (something with a hitch to pull a waverunner).

I don't know. I'm just glad I'm fine.

As long as everything is ok and your not hurt is what matters. Be glad that the airbags didn't deploy thou, if they did you'd also be adding a new windshield to the repair list.

Yeah why would you want them to deploy?

I don't know, so I don't smash my face into the steering column. :shrug: :laugh: Take it with a grain of salt, I'm in a bad mood. A car stopping 35mph into a wall has given me a new perspective on things.

This is my first crash.
I also dropped collision coverage on this car. :shrug: :(

bill,i can get you the bumper cover,mirror:shrug:
or you can just sell me the exhaust and get that jeep:laugh:

bill,i can get you the bumper cover,mirror:shrug:
or you can just sell me the exhaust and get that jeep:laugh:

Scavenger. :laugh:
I'm gonna take a look at the local yard and pull some parts off any Contours I find there. If not, I'll toss some $$$ your way if you find better parts elsewhere.

I don't know, so I don't smash my face into the steering column. :shrug: :laugh: Take it with a grain of salt, I'm in a bad mood. A car stopping 35mph into a wall has given me a new perspective on things.

This is my first crash.
I also dropped collision coverage on this car. :shrug: :(

I look at it kinda like this, crashing into a wall at 30-35 mph isnt that bad. It's happend to me more than once with my PGT, and my body can heal on its own and won't cost hundreds of dollars to fix.........my car won't.

And air bags stink smelly butt for sure, i usually hate if/when they go off. Make your eye's red, caughing a lot, and bruise or even cut up your face a lot. But i would rather have that than no life in the case of a serious car collision, and for that i'm greatful for having them in my car :D

From where the damage is located on the bumper, it was too low from where the sensors are located for the airbags to go off.

Glad you're ok!

What is wrong with the hood, passenger mirror, moonroof motor and other minor things? Was this from a previous accident?

Glad you're ok!

What is wrong with the hood, passenger mirror, moonroof motor and other minor things? Was this from a previous accident?

-Hood was dented by a girl last summer when she danced on top of it.
-Mirror was smashed by a deer who decided he didn't like me.
-Moon roof motor went last summer. I removed it, and have just been lazy putting another one in.

bill! how come you didnt tell me about this?! that sucks man!! you should check out that svt for sale at towne automotive. last time i checked, they still had it

lmao awesome signature Shawn. :laugh: :laugh: Anyways, I didn't tell you because I didn't see you online punk. It happened at like 8-830 last night.

35mph into a wall and thats all that happened are you sure it wasn't more like 15?

I don't remember honestly. I remember reading 35 as I was fishtailing, but I did try my best to slow down. Countersteering did nothing for me :(

Not to rub salt in your bruised car and ego, but you live in an area known for black ice and slick roads. So why the excessive speed during this time of year? I've lived in New England area, Utah and Oregon and learn real fast how not to push the limits of a vehicle in such conditions. Even on dry pavement at high speed a quick hard move can send you into spin. It happen to me when a guy on a cell phone drifted into my lane. I was doing around 80-85 (normal Cali freeway speed :cool: ) I swerved left then right and the car broke loose and did a 180 in my own lane. I had to bring it to the shoulder in reverse and hit and K-rail (concrete barrier). If not for my Driving training days when I was a cop I feel I would have rolled it. The out come was about the same as yours, only slight scape on rear bumper.:blackeye:

Well, the turn would have to be seen to judge it that way. I guess I could say that if my stock suspension SE can handle a 35mph turn with ease, for years, then any SVT could that much better. I'm pretty sure it was just black ice that I didn't see.

There is no excuse for it. I should not have lost control of the car.

All the suspension in the world would not have helped. Ice is just that, frozen water. I was only doing 25 on a striaght road and the backend of my Volvo came around and slid me across the street in a ditch. took all I knew to rock it out before someone hit me. Its easier to drive in fresh snow than any type of icey condition. As stated before, be thankful it was only a minor scratch/scape.

Back