• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid question about terminology...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
Could someone just give a simple explination of "dumping the clutch" and "wheel hop"... I have ideas, but just want to get it straight... Not like I am ever going to be dragging my Zetec anyways, unless it is on the back of a tow-truck, LOL...

*puts on flame suit* :eek:

they are exactly what they sound like ...

wheel hop is just that, the wheels hop off the ground as they don't get tractions.

dumping the clutch it like dropping the clutch, normally at high rpm for a launch

both are extremely hard on components

wheel-hop will make your entire dash vibrate, coins in the try pop out, etc ,etc..

done if you hold the gas even while the tires have no traction. a loose suspension system allows the tires to flex UP and they do...

they are exactly what they sound like ...

wheel hop is just that, the wheels hop off the ground as they don't get tractions.

EEEEHHHHHHH... Wrong! Wheel hop describes the sensation of what is felt when the car experiences a "Tortional Slip & Grip" under acceleration. The tires never actually "hop" or leave the ground. They just spin, grip, spin, grip at a high rate.
-Mark

wroldtour

is right,,, you would need lots of power to do this especialy on a front wheel drive

wroldtour

is right,,, you would need lots of power to do this especialy on a front wheel drive

And you are wrong. Stock svt contours get wheel hop. That is why we upgrade our front and rear engine mounts with poly filled. It sucks, even with my front ES bushes my car gets mad wheel hop:blackeye: .

Stock MTX CONTIQUES (hell, even ZETECS!) get wheel hop..

it isn't"power". any amount of power that will spin the tires is plenty enough to get wheelhop. And Any contour MTX variant can spin the tires.

EEEEHHHHHHH... Wrong! Wheel hop describes the sensation of what is felt when the car experiences a "Tortional Slip & Grip" under acceleration. The tires never actually "hop" or leave the ground. They just spin, grip, spin, grip at a high rate.
-Mark

well I stand corrected then, thanks mark

Stock MTX CONTIQUES (hell, even ZETECS!) get wheel hop..

it isn't"power". any amount of power that will spin the tires is plenty enough to get wheelhop. And Any contour MTX variant can spin the tires.

Us ATX guys can do it too!!!! 115whp is ballsy!!!!:mad:

Back