• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

KYB GR-2's and B&G springs or BAT Kit?

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
I need a new suspension, and it needs to be on the cheaper side. Should I go with the KYB's with B&G springs for $470 or go for the BAT Europian Kit for $595?

help me out here. pro's and con's for each?

Well how much of a drop are you looking for?

BAT will drop you around 1" and stiffen up the ride alittle not much i had a BAT on my last SVT i loved it..Im thinking about selling my Koni kit for a bat kit

KYB's havent heard much about them on the contours..As far as the B&G springs im sure there around the same drop as a koni kit..Im unsure of the Spring rates

hey i'll trade ya my new SVT struts and eibach springs for your koni kit ;) struts and springs all have less than 5k on them.

Well how much of a drop are you looking for?

BAT will drop you around 1" and stiffen up the ride alittle not much i had a BAT on my last SVT i loved it..Im thinking about selling my Koni kit for a bat kit

KYB's havent heard much about them on the contours..As far as the B&G springs im sure there around the same drop as a koni kit..Im unsure of the Spring rates

i'd prefer the 1.6" drop of the B&G springs, but if the BAT struts are better quality and will hold up better to using lowering springs then I will go with BAT.

That being said, if the quality between the two are the same, I'll go with the $470 KYB's and B&G's as opposed to the $600 BAT kit for obvious reasons

anybody?

I'm gonna buy the KYB's and B&G's in 2 days unless someone gives me a reason to get the BAT kit instead

Again people.................KYB GR-2's are crap on this platform and not intended for lowering! They are for use with stock springs only.

Go ahead and save the money now but you'll be spending it later.

Again people.................KYB GR-2's are crap on this platform and not intended for lowering! They are for use with stock springs only.

Go ahead and save the money now but you'll be spending it later.

Really? i've heard that these are pretty good struts that are just fine for lowering many times on this board. if people back up what you are claiming then i'll certainly steer clear of the kyb's. i dont mind spending a little extra for the BAT kit if it would be better

its a shame no one reads the faq's, lots of good info there. ...

What struts are available?
Brand/ Model/ Adjustable?/ Lowering Advised?
Koni/ Yellow/ Yes/ Yes
Bilstein/ Sprintline/ No/ yes
B.A.T/ Euro / No/ With BAT or similar springs
Ford/ ST200/ No/ Spring perch is 1" lower, not necessary
KYB/ GR2/ No/ No
Sachs/ Super Gas/ No/ No
Spax/ Sport/ No/ No

gr2's are crap for ANY platform to use with a lowering strut. they are marginally better than oem,and in some case's not any better than oem. it's your money and time,spend both how you'd like. take your time and research before you just buy something. if you want a nice drop and a nice ride,get the koni kit,or even the bat kit. if you want slammed get the ksports,or koni adjustables and ground controls. but you cant have your cake and eat it to,meaning,you cant have a dropped car and liveable ride for cheap(unless you buy used:shrug: )

its a shame no one reads the faq's, lots of good info there. ...

What struts are available?
Brand/ Model/ Adjustable?/ Lowering Advised?
Koni/ Yellow/ Yes/ Yes
Bilstein/ Sprintline/ No/ yes
B.A.T/ Euro / No/ With BAT or similar springs
Ford/ ST200/ No/ Spring perch is 1" lower, not necessary
KYB/ GR2/ No/ No
Sachs/ Super Gas/ No/ No
Spax/ Sport/ No/ No

Ya beat me to it.

I bought the KYB G2 struts for my dad's 98 SE a while back before my sister totaled the car. They are meant to be just a OEM replacement not a performance upgrade. Sure they may work with lowering springs, but you will significantly reduce the life of the strut by doing so. It would be better for you to just spend the extra money now for something that will last.

ok i guess i'll be going with the BAT Kit. thanks everybody for the input

Glad to see you are getting the BAT kit. I've been looking at upgrading my suspension (see my post) and the BAT kit is by far the best option for a low budget setup.

Last edited:
Back